Should i brushhog my miscanthus?

loshonhora

5 year old buck +
In late November/early December, we got about a foot of very heavy, wet snow that flattened my miscanthus screens. Should I chop it up with a brushhog to help break up the flattened stalks? Would this help new growth push up through, or will it make it through on it's own?

I'd probably cut it (and get the cuttings off the crown of each plant).... assuming your plants are of subvstantial size, any substantial covering will act to shade it and might have detrimental efects on growth. With the "flattening" snow occurring early in the winter, the plants likely had not shed leaves (would then onn ly be stalks left) ... so crowns may be covered with considerable amount of essentially mulch. Good luck

Thanks. Sounds like I'm chopping it.

I talked with Don at Mapleriver farms where I get my MG about leaving last years stalks standing and he said it should be no problem. The first couple years I had my screens I would go out a brush hog them first thing in the spring when I could get out there and for the last 4 years or so I have just let them go and noticed no decrease in growth. That being said I've never had all of mine go down beacuse of wet snow, some sections but not all. I might go ahead and brush hog it, it can't hurt.

I’m with Scott. I’ve had some fall over. But it usually stands back up. If it didn’t, I still think new shoots would grow.

The stuff is mostly mashed flat and is not going to stand back up. I remember oakseeds mentioning mulching his miscanthus on the old miscanthus as a screen thread, which is why I was asking. As it is now, it looks like a pretty impenetrable barrier to new growth. Almost like a thatched roof.

I mulched around the base of my MG plants; careful to not cover any of the plant above ground. I suggested cutting it because a lot of matted material on the base of the plant will probably not kill it ...... but I suspect it could make growth less robust. A substantial covering of matted plant matter (3-4 inches of leaves) can adversely effect the grass in your front yard (might even kill it) so MG - while tough/hearty as a plant - might struggle if sunlight/air are in shorter supply due to materials substantially covering the plant. Again, good luck. One other thing ... and I have no idea if it makes any difference .... MG likes water but not wet feet, so if the plant has material covering it that can remain moist for an extended period of time and you encounter a wet spring ... is there any danger of crown rot, or other problems like rust or fungus?

e.g., Stem and Root and Rot
Courtesy: Gerald Holmes, California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo, Bugwood.org
Cool wet soils cause a number of stem and root rots. Roots need to breathe oxygen and will drown just like humans. Soil that stays wet and does not drain has all the air spaces filled with water. Adding organic matter to soil, especially clay soils will loosen it and allow water to drain. Phytopthera fungi will attack seedling stems at the ground level, entering the plant in areas where there is environmental or insect damage. Stems will turn dark in color, become thin and stringy and the plant top tips over. Roots will become soft and mushy

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. It's definitely getting the chippity chop before spring. I'll brushhog it, and then if the chopped up material is too thick, I might try running over it with my side discharge mower deck to blow off some of the excess.