septic treatment?

JFK52

5 year old buck +
Anyone with a conventional septic with a drain field use any kind of treatment for it? My buddy who is a master plumber sells Bioclean and has advised me to start using it as my septic system is approaching it's useful life term. It was first installed in 1970 and then had an addition to the drain field done in the late 1980s when that was still permitted. So I am wondering what anyone else uses in their septic systems? If it craps out (no pun intended) I will have to install a new drain field at $8-10K. If I have to go with a mound system the cost will be $14K or more.
I just want to try and keep the system for a year or two before I have to go out of pocket for a new drain field.

Anyone with a conventional septic with a drain field use any kind of treatment for it? My buddy who is a master plumber sells Bioclean and has advised me to start using it as my septic system is approaching it's useful life term. It was first installed in 1970 and then had an addition to the drain field done in the late 1980s when that was still permitted. So I am wondering what anyone else uses in their septic systems? If it craps out (no pun intended) I will have to install a new drain field at $8-10K. If I have to go with a mound system the cost will be $14K or more.
I just want to try and keep the system for a year or two before I have to go out of pocket for a new drain field.

As I understand, you need to be careful about any additives for the septic system. Your system works based on anaerobic digestion and the microbial bug activity in the holding tanks breaks down the solids there which allows just grey water to move to the drain field. If any additive interferes with or kills the bugs, solids will flow out of the holding tank into the drain field and eventually clog the filed. Thats why it is so important to have your tank pumped regularity.

RidX actually adds some of those microbial bugs that Tree spud mentions. That may also be what's in your friends mix. I'd ask.
I'm also with tree spud. Pump the tank yearly or at least biannually. My system is from 82 and still working well. Knock on wood.

Bio Clean is natural bacteria and enzymes. I was pumping the tank every year until the last couple of years. Our county has a rule that all tanks must be pumped every three years minimum. They send you a post card notice. If the action is not completed and certified by a person with a master plumbers license or the honey wagon operator, a fine can result. I can not complain about getting 48 years out of a septic system, even with the drain field addition.

My system is from 95. The previous owner has records starting all the way back from then. It was pumped every other year. When we had the septic company come out and do a full inspection when purchasing the home they said it look like the day it was installed. And their job is to find an issue. I plan to continue doing the same. In another 10 years or so I’m just gonna change the attitude from every other year to every year. The cost here to pump is between 250 and 300. That is a drop in the bucket compared to a replacement system.