Semi-Auto rifles for deer in Pa. ???

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
It looks like our Pa. Game Commission is going to legalize semi-auto rifles to hunt deer here. Really ???? I've killed a number of deer running and never needed a second shot. ( broadside or quartering away ). I'd like to think the deer have at least a chance of escape. What's next ...... grenade launchers ??? What happened to sport and respect for the animal ??? I'll NEVER use a semi.

On a side note - I predict some fatalities if this goes into effect. Hungry, hungry hunters swinging and laying on the trigger. Time for checking / assuring their background is clear of other hunters ??

People use them in other states without calamity. And those states even let them hunt on Sunday too.

I had no idea semi auto rifles were not allowed in PA. Were bolts, levers, or pumps legal options for rifles? What about semi auto shotguns?

The traditions from state to state are hard to understand. Didn't some used to feel elevated stands in Michigan were unsporting?

Trolling with outboards for musky in Sconny?

Use of compound bows if you are old enough to remember. Scopes on mzzle. etc. Crossbows? Baiting?

The traditions from state to state are hard to understand. Didn't some used to feel elevated stands in Michigan were unsporting?

Trolling with outboards for musky in Sconny?

Use of compound bows if you are old enough to remember. Scopes on mzzle. etc. Crossbows? Baiting?
Yes It used to be illegal here in MI to gun hunt from any elevevated stand.

Good for the ammo and gun manufacturers as their sales should go up.

Were semi-auto rifles legal for other things before? Here in the southern part of the state rifles aren't allowed for deer, but are allowed for coyotes.

no semi auto rifles were not legal for anything prior to this. i don't like it, though research tells you it will not make things any less safe.

I use a semi 30 O6, sometimes a bolt .270, sometimes a 12ga semi. It doesn't make a bit of difference in my mind. I can only remember one deer where I shot a faster sequence then I would have with a bolt. 90% of the time there is no second shot needed. If your hunting from a stand it is of zero benefit. I just like the riffle and the 12ga was my grandfathers. Since he had one I would guess they have always been legal here. Cumo would like to get rid of them but that has nothing to do with hunting.

Thats should make all those deer drives a little more effective.

I don't see the need, although I am generally for anything that provides more freedom (within reason.) I understand, also, that magazines will be limited to 5 rounds, so you can actually have more rounds ready to shoot almost as quickly with a lever gun. In the end, it will make far less difference in PA than crossbows did.

Reactions: Tap
I don't think it had anything to do with fair chase. I think it was more of a safety thing. My dad started me with a single shot. Why? It is a natural reaction to shoot quickly and then assess the situation. When a novice has only one shot, he quickly learns to make it count and takes much better shots. This both increases safety and reduce wounding. Keep in mind though that the no-semi rule was put in place well before blaze orange laws were codified. Most of those decisions were made on judgment alone with no data. Today, we have lots of statistical data from different states to better assess actual risk.

Thanks,

Jack

They will come in pre-ground up for the deer butchers!! In all honesty I don't think it will make much of a difference. I wish they would open Sunday up for Hunting. At least on State Game Lands!

Semi i autos are legal here. Don't bother me, i like bolt actions myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like our Pa. Game Commission is going to legalize semi-auto rifles to hunt deer here. Really ???? I've killed a number of deer running and never needed a second shot. ( broadside or quartering away ). I'd like to think the deer have at least a chance of escape. What's next ...... grenade launchers ??? What happened to sport and respect for the animal ??? I'll NEVER use a semi.

On a side note - I predict some fatalities if this goes into effect. Hungry, hungry hunters swinging and laying on the trigger. Time for checking / assuring their background is clear of other hunters ??

Sheesh! Watch out everybody! The sky is falling in Pennsylvania. Good thing you looked at the facts before spouting off. I love how you sound like the media and anti-gunners by stating how everything will fall to pieces because people have the ability to pull the trigger more then one time in succession.

Wklman - Sky isn't falling. I just like the idea of a little sport in the hunt. I've hunted around a few brainless, " kill at all costs " types of hunters. I can only imagine what those types will be doing with a semi in hand. Rambo mentality. - - - And why did you go political with this ??? That didn't even enter my mind - I just think of the sport part of the hunt and what safety issues might arise. ( Incidentally, I was shot by a " hungry " pheasant hunter some years back in a wide open field. 2 of us were walking in a clover field when a guy flushed a pheasant and as it flew toward us, the guy pulled up, swung right to us - tracking the bird - and fired. We had fluorescent orange vests on too. If you've never been shot by a shotgun and had to have pellets dug out, you can't understand where I come from. )

Stu - I'm for guns - always have been. But that doesn't mean I can't think about giving the deer more of a chance. I have a couple guys in my camp ( younger ) that will fill the air with lead just because they can. The more shots - the more manly they feel. How many guys on here complain about low deer numbers in several states, but want the most efficient means of killing deer and the most tags to fill. Some things just don't add up.

Back in the 80's and 90's we had around 15 - 18 guys in our party(some days upwards of 25), all but one carried a Remington Model 740/742/7400, all in .30-06. 90% of our hunting was doing large deer drives. We were all fine, if people use their damn head, you all will be too.

Wklman - Sky isn't falling. I just like the idea of a little sport in the hunt. I've hunted around a few brainless, " kill at all costs " types of hunters. I can only imagine what those types will be doing with a semi in hand. Rambo mentality. - - - And why did you go political with this ??? That didn't even enter my mind - I just think of the sport part of the hunt and what safety issues might arise. ( Incidentally, I was shot by a " hungry " pheasant hunter some years back in a wide open field. 2 of us were walking in a clover field when a guy flushed a pheasant and as it flew toward us, the guy pulled up, swung right to us - tracking the bird - and fired. We had fluorescent orange vests on too. If you've never been shot by a shotgun and had to have pellets dug out, you can't understand where I come from. )

So you're saying accidents happen no matter what weapon you use? I agree. A dummy shot you by accident with a shotgun just like you could be shot by a rifle, pistol, bow and arrow, etc. You're demonizing a gun just because its a rifle and shoots semi-auto. There's nothing less sporting about shooting a deer with a semi-auto then any other rifle. if anything a semi is more sporting then a bolt or lever. Reason being is that you have a much quicker return to sight picture and which way the animal has gone since you don't have to pull down the gun to ratchet the action thus loosing sight of where it has gone. Isn't the end game a most lethal and humane kill even if a follow up shot is needed?

I believe they both hold 5 rounds. If you are going to shoot wildly at a deer it makes no difference which gun you use or what the back drop is. Either way 5 shots are going down range. You will soon see this is a lot to do about nothing. I would say a very small % of guys are going to go buy a semi with the thought they will be able to shoot faster at a deer. Half of NY went through this ten years ago it had zero impact.

The whole state of PA hunts with pumps and levers anyway, I doubt you will see a huge amount of guys run out and spend $600-$700 on a new rifle.

Whip, actually bolts are probably the most popular choice, but your point is valid.
Bowsnbucks, I think your fears will prove to be unnecessary. The nutjobs will still be the nutjobs, and the people that just want to fling lead are already doing just that (as you stated about the guys in your camp) and will continue to do that whether it be with a lever gun, a pump or a semi. As I said before, there are lever guns that can hold more rounds than you will be allowed in a semi, assuming it passes final vote in the spring- which it is expected to do.