Seed survival

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
I bought a couple bags of jointvetch, clay peas and lab lab to plant this spring. I ended up finding another property and am listing mine and closing on the new one June 1st. I could plant my current place next weekend but I’d rather not if I won’t be hunting it (if it doesn’t sell by deer season I could certainly hunt it) but I don’t want to see the seed go to waste cause it’s expensive. It’s pretty late and my new place doesn’t have the space yet to plant all this seed…in a perfect world I would save it to next year. Would you feel comfortable saving it and getting good germination?

Seal in in air right containers and store it as dry as possible. Germination may be reduced some. I save seed every year and never had a terrible experience.

I have left over seed from last year that I will be using this year. I usually do every year. Never really notice much difference.

I bought a couple bags of jointvetch, clay peas and lab lab to plant this spring. I ended up finding another property and am listing mine and closing on the new one June 1st. I could plant my current place next weekend but I’d rather not if I won’t be hunting it (if it doesn’t sell by deer season I could certainly hunt it) but I don’t want to see the seed go to waste cause it’s expensive. It’s pretty late and my new place doesn’t have the space yet to plant all this seed…in a perfect world I would save it to next year. Would you feel comfortable saving it and getting good germination?
I would keep on plotting your place with something to make it look good. Even some sorghum, sunflowers, collards, and balansa would go a long way towards curb appeal, and shouldn't break the bank. Adjust for the pig situation of course.

I would keep on plotting your place with something to make it look good. Even some sorghum, sunflowers, collards, and balansa would go a long way towards curb appeal, and shouldn't break the bank. Adjust for the pig situation of course.
Well thank god kentucky doesn’t have pigs yet. I agree though something would look good. It’s wheat, oats and rye now. Great fawning and brooding habitat but in a few weeks it won’t be attractive to a buyer.

Well thank god kentucky doesn’t have pigs yet. I agree though something would look good. It’s wheat, oats and rye now. Great fawning and brooding habitat but in a few weeks it won’t be attractive to a buyer.

Which is why I delay cutting mine

They do get ugly in a hurry when weather gets really warm

bill

I just did "Rag Doll" tests on some of my seed recently:

Fresh RR Sugar Beet seed - 92+% germination.
Leftover RR Sugar Beet seed from last year (1 year old) - 90%
Unknown (allegedly 1 year old) RR Sugar Beet seed - 45%. I just purchased some of this seed from a new supplier (food plotter) so I am not entirely sure of its origin.

I have had very poor germination from RR Soybean seed after 2-3 years so I wouldn't hang on to soybean seed very long.

I haven't done a great deal of germination testing on other seeds like clovers, brassicas, sorghum, etc, but I usually keep leftover seed only a year or two and have not noticed any big difference in germination rates in the field.