Scion length

DrewMc

A good 3 year old buck
Is there rough length that scions should be when bench grafting? I've seen some very short ones and I'm questioning if mine were too long? What's the rule of thumb?

Does it hurt to have more than 2?

I usually leave 2-4 buds on each scrion and eventually pinch them back so only one is growing. My scion length varies depending on the bud locations, but a couple inches in length is typical. I've never noticed an issue with scion that are noticeably longer or shorter than average, so I don't think it makes a huge difference.

2 buds on the scion and I will put it on the rootstock wherever is sized the most similar to the scion so I can do a whip and tongue. You can always bury a good chunk of the rootstock as those buds will send out roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen arguments for longer scion length in other forms of grafting (other than benchgrafts), saying there is more stored energy in the scion to keep the buds viable during the time the callus is forming. We are thrifty with our scion though as we seem to run short on occasion, that and it is just more cumbersome dealing with storing benchgrafts and then planting if they are longer than need be when you are dealing with thousands of them at one time.

When I first learned to graft apples I went to a class where I had an instructor who worked with the state tell us that you only need 1 bud, but it's nice to have 2 just for insurance.

Bought a sundance on M7 this spring. Took 8 inches off the top. Now I got (3) sundances on M111. Buying trees and doing the cages, weedmats, and soil right cuts off 2 if not 3 years wait though. Cheap bargain at 25 bucks a tree or so. Less tempted to do shortcuts when they cost ya $25. Most places max out at 12 trees a box.

I do two as a rule - plus or minus 1. No real need for more - as mentioned above its insurance over just 1 bud. I always believed it was better to be pushing nutrients to 1 or 2 buds over more, in the end your only going to want 1 to take the lead and run anyways.

FIrst year grafting for me....every graft thread I read tells me how many things ive done ... 2 buds.....I may have 2 feet on some....lol. I shoudlve just stuck to food plots.

Generally, I do 2 buds on a bench graft. Exactly like people said above, the second one is just for insurance. In winter, the shorter of the two gets clipped off.

When field grafting, I am starting to use larger and larger scions. I'm using a technique I can't remember the name of, but it's basically grafting low on the tree instead of above the nurse branch. Then you cut off everything above the graft. This gives the benefit of having far more top growth while reducing the problem of the rootstock throwing new growth.

Generally, I do 2 buds on a bench graft. Exactly like people said above, the second one is just for insurance. In winter, the shorter of the two gets clipped off.

When field grafting, I am starting to use larger and larger scions. I'm using a technique I can't remember the name of, but it's basically grafting low on the tree instead of above the nurse branch. Then you cut off everything above the graft. This gives the benefit of having far more top growth while reducing the problem of the rootstock throwing new growth.
Veneer graft?