Scion harvest

Apple Junkie

5 year old buck +
Last spring, I took my first stab at grafting. I had just enough success to confirm that even with my fat, clumsy fingers, some grafts can survive the torture. So, this past weekend I harvested some scions from a couple of my favorite apples.

When looking over each tree, it seemed the logical choice for scion wood would be the suckers that sprouted from previous pruned sites on the tree. So my question to the grafting experts among us, does this new wood make for viable scions?

Penny for your thoughts…

0317181218.jpg0317181219.jpg

I don't think using watersprout wood is a problem although I have seen warnings about it like the watersprout wood will be less productive than if you got wood off a fruiting branch tip. I like the watersprout wood for being straight and variable so I can match it to the rootstock size/caliper, like I said I dont think its a problem, wood being wood. I'm open to other ideas/proof...

Here's a good article on how to collect scion wood.

Select scion wood from healthy, virus-free plants. Try to avoid trees older than eight to 10 years of age as they have likely bloomed for at least five to seven years or more and possibly contracted pollen-born virus diseases. Commercial nurseries prune “mother-block” trees back each year to avoid bloom and generate vigorous scion wood. This wood can also be purchased for grafting.

Limit wood to one-year-old wood. Avoid any wood or portion of wood that is older. Wood should be straight and have a lot of vegetative buds (narrow buds). This varies among species. Avoid any wood with spurs (fruit/blossom). Wood should be between 0.25 and 0.5 inches in diameter.

4-11Scionwood-CandidateRON.jpg
4-11Good-Candidate-Growth-Scion-WoodRON.jpg

Good candidate growth for scion wood.

4-11Mature-Buds-Left-and-Immature-RightRON.jpg
4-11-Mature-apple-budRON.jpg

(Left) Mature apple mud at basal end of shoot on the left and immature portion at distil end on the right. (Right) Close up of mature apple bud.

While some grafters like to use watersprouts, Michigan State University Extension recommends avoiding excessively vegetative shoots. If it is the only healthy, straight wood available, discard the terminal ends where there are less carbohydrates stored and where buds lack maturity.

Avoid suckers that arise from the rootstock, below the union. One of the problems with using watersprouts is that the tissue often lacks in stored carbohydrates, which is important in the wound healing and callusing process.

4-11-Good-WatersproutRON.jpg
4-11-Fig-2-Bad-WatersproutRON.jpg

(Left) Candidate watersprout growth for scion wood (center). (Right) Avoid excessively vigorous watersprout growth with vegetative spurs. Section above spurs may be satisfactory.

Storage of scion wood
Bundle pieces of scion wood and place into a polyethylene bag. I like to bundle the wood in 14-18-inch lengths if possible to insure adequate length, especially if bridge grafting is anticipated. The longer pieces gives the grafter the option to remove ends that, after storage, have dried and allows for flexibility in bridging long portions, around 8-10 inches, of damage by rabbits or equipment.

Place lightly moistened paper towels or wood shavings in with the scion wood. Be sure not to over-wet the paper towels or shavings as this can attract mold after four to eight weeks in storage. Some grafters like to dip cut ends in wax prior to storage to reduce desiccation.

Great article, Thanks for posting.

Thick long and straight haha I am not talking about what you guys may be thinking. I am talking about scion wood hahaha

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts and guidance guys. I'll take another stab at grafting this spring. Good to know I can blame any failures on skill, not faulty scions! Thanks again.

My first try at harvesting scion a few years ago was a bust. I cut wood that was too old and some had spurs. After reading more on here and reading some printed literature, I have been looking for that "wrinkled knuckle" that shows where new growth from the previous year started.

I've also read that water sprout wood is OK to use for grafting, AND - read that water sprout wood is not the best to use. I've used both water sprout and end-of-limb new growth for grafting. Both seemed to grow OK.

Is it true water sprout wood is only vegetative and will never make fruit ?? Grow but not produce ??