Sawtooth Acorns

THunter

5 year old buck +
Just a early FYI, I will have a bunch of sawtooth acorns for $0.10/each this year off of my trees that have been producing since they were 5 years old if anybody wants any.

These are good ones guys. I got 100% germination from my Saul an sawtooth acorns from Thunter. He must of float tested them for me;)

Are Sawtooth native to northern Missouri?
Native no. But they will grow there just fine. Many say they don't produce as early in more northern climates as the south. North Mo gets darn cold compared to south or even south central. Hybrid bur oaks would prolly be a better choice IMO but I just went to the school of Paul Knox threads lol

Just a early FYI, I will have a bunch of sawtooth acorns for $0.10/each this year off of my trees that have been producing since they were 5 years old if anybody wants any.
Regular sawtooth or gobbler sawtooth?

Count me in for a couple dozen of them.....if you have gobblers and sauls, I'd take some of them too!

I generally have both gobbler and sawtooth. Just remind me in early October to early November.

Yes, Jordan, I float tested them. ;)

Put me down for some. Got 100% germination on the sawtooths I got from you last year and they are growing like crazy...

Are sawtooth oaks - red or white oaks? Since they are not native - any concern about them becoming invasive? I am not familiar with these, but I like the idea that they produce acorns early. Sound like teseand chestnuts as well.

They are considered a red (takes two years to produce acorns) but some say they are neither. Far as I'm concerned they are a red but have a very low tanin content apparently. Some will tell you they can become invasive, but I've been growing them 16 years and I WISH they would become invasive. All I know is if they aren't in full sun with a tube around them and you have more than 2 deer per square mile, they are NOT going to be invasive. No more so than chinese chestnuts.

Thanks - sounds like somethign worth a shot - do they get big like a traditional oak or are the more like an orchard type tree? What sort of soils do they do best in? I go dry upland and wet bottomland. I have a neighbor that has a large oak plantaton (literally 50 acres or more) that at some point I am going to have to compete with. They are in the timber business so I know those trees are going be around for a long time. I am going to need some sort of "secret weapon" and it sounds like these may be nice to have on my side of the fence.

J-bird, mine are in dry upland--a sandy, rocky loam. They can grow easily up to 50 feet.

THunter,

I would like to get 2 dozen of your sawtooth acorns when they start dropping. I am new to obtaining seeds this way. I need you to tell me how we conduct this process.

Thanks
Wayne

Will do Wayne. It is very easy. We'll talk about it come October.

I generally have both gobbler and sawtooth. Just remind me in early October to early November.

Yes, Jordan, I float tested them. ;)
I'm in for a enough to fill a flat of each

Hope this is still on! Im excited!

Here is a pic of one of Thunters sawtooths planted this past spring. Of the handful I plants 6 or so are at or out of the tube tops
image (26).jpeg