Sapsucker Damage?

I2dAF38.jpg

Checked on this tree a few days ago and they just won’t leave the poor tree alone. Moving down the trunk to where the top of the protective cage is. I planned on cutting this tree off and top working onto it and was hoping to leave a nurse branch. The research I have done says it is good to have one so the new scion don’t have too much energy pushed to them. Going to cut this off below all the damage so a nurse branch won’t be in the cards.
Reading up on Sapsuckers and how to possibly deter them. I mentioned earlier how they only seemed to be harassing my Liberty trees and they especially liked this one. Seems they check trees and when they find one that has sweeter sap they will key in on it, must be they like Liberty in general and really liked this one. I am going to try and hang something reflective in the tree like Bob mentioned and thought about a post with an owl decoy near this group of trees.
When I top work this next spring I will make a cage which is farther off the tree and doesn’t allow the birds to reach what is left of this trunk. Going to try and top work this to Kerr if I have enough scion. I am sure the bastards will just move on to the next Liberty.

Owl decoy, a couple realistic rubber snakes - one on the ground and one curled in the first crotches??? Shiny aluminum foil pie tins hanging by nylon mason's line.