Sanity check - wanting to enroll in CRP

A couple issues,what happens if they aren't taking enrollments in 4 years?Are you wa.nting to go into crp for the income or the cover?The biggest thing is I wouldn't let them test the wet area because unless you are doing a wetland project you don't want them to certify and land to wetland.Most of my crp expired last year or will in next couple years,they will let me extend 1 more year but I didn't mess with paper work and let it expire but am leaving it as is.If you are wanting native grass then maybe kill pasture and just plant it with your food plots and not worry about anything.Another option might be signing up for whip or another cost share habitat enhancement project.Some states even have PU or NWTF organizations that will help pay for the establishment of grass,shrubs or treesI wouldn't do the easement either

Wayne Tango! It sounds like a plan without legs. But, there may be something out there that will work for you. Check with NRCS and FSA. Warning! They are agencies of the federal government. Imagine tax payers of this country, thru the aforementioned federal agencies, paying you as much as $4,000 over 15 years if you will only promise to do some things that will benefit land and wildlife. No doubt, after taking the money, you won't get to do everything you want to do! Are you married?

Yes, to qualify, just to qualify, for the opportunity to enroll your land in CRP, it must have been cropped four of the last six years. Usually that's an expensive proposition requiring the sale of produced commodities to defer the expense. And you want to crop it, but not sell the crop? If you can do that, why enroll in CRP? NRCS will be glad to design a plan (for free and without obligation) that you are free to implement at your own expense and without Orwellian government intrusion. Yes, THE government is goofy. And, I guess that's why there are 24 million acres enrolled in CRP. Many more people would like to enroll, but 24 million is the max authorized by congress.

But, if you remain unconvinced, you can crop it and HOPE there are still available acres in 4-years. During the general sign-up, if there is one, you will get to offer you land, but there's no guarantee you'll get in.

Good luck! And keep thinking.

By the way, love the title of your post - "Sanity check......"

Last edited:
There were a couple questions here about how CRP rental rates are determined.
https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_Notice/crp_852.pdf

It varies from sign-up to sign-up, but rental rates are to reflect the general rental rate for similar cropland in the county. So, if productive corn ground is renting for $250 an acre (more like $70 here in Virginia), then the rental rate paid for CRP is around that amount. If you read the notice at the end of the link provided abouv, it says something like-the minimum required to be competitive in the market. Farmers wanting to rent the ground for planting always says the CRP rate is too high and people wanting to enroll land say it's too low. I guess that makes it about right.

The general rate is applied to the soil types in the county with additions and subtractions based on the nature of the soil which would include productivity and erodibility.
So, each soil type in a county can have a different rental rate (SRR - soil rental rate). If someone makes an offer, FSA determines the percentage of each soil type in the field(s) and multiplies the percentage by the rental rate to come up with the MAX soil rental rate. You can offer to take less which increases the chances of your offer being accepted.

I just enrolled 15 acres into NRCS eqip pollinator program.
Plowed in brome grass and planted various food plot crops, then had the NRCS guy come out and confirm that the land was in a “crop”. I was then able to apply for NRCS eqip programs. No waiting 4-6 years like CRP.
Mine is in a 3 year annual and a 5 year perennial program.

When I bought my place the open pasture areas were over grown with sericea lespedeza. Rather than try and battle it myself I cash rented the ground out for 5 years while the farmer paid me and he got rid of 95% of SL. I looked into enrolling in CRP but my place wasn't eligible with the old farm bill and the number of years farmed requirement. With the new farm bill I qualify. There's going to be an enrollment period in December so I need to research what all my options are again. There's a quail habitat program where you just put ~50` of your field borders into natives and WSG and then you can continue to farm the middle yourself. I'm thinking that would be nice because then I could get some income and use that to basically grow food plots in the middle of the fields.

When I bought my place the open pasture areas were over grown with sericea lespedeza. Rather than try and battle it myself I cash rented the ground out for 5 years while the farmer paid me and he got rid of 95% of SL. I looked into enrolling in CRP but my place wasn't eligible with the old farm bill and the number of years farmed requirement. With the new farm bill I qualify. There's going to be an enrollment period in December so I need to research what all my options are again. There's a quail habitat program where you just put ~50` of your field borders into natives and WSG and then you can continue to farm the middle yourself. I'm thinking that would be nice because then I could get some income and use that to basically grow food plots in the middle of the fields.
Sericea seed is viable for 20 years. You have a metric shit ton of it waiting for a chance to germinate. Ive battled it for 6 years. With our wet spring its in places I thought I had eradicated it. You will fight it constantly.

Sericea seed is viable for 20 years. You have a metric shit ton of it waiting for a chance to germinate. Ive battled it for 6 years. With our wet spring its in places I thought I had eradicated it. You will fight it constantly.
Oh I understand that. But it's a lot easier to manage now than it was before. Was thinking about planting one field in RR alfalfa so I can spray glyphosate to keep the SL knocked back.

Not the be melodramatic but the original post sounds like a plan to defraud the American taxpayer to me.

Not the be melodramatic but the original post sounds like a plan to defraud the American taxpayer to me.

Good thing we are not discussing the Ag crop insurance scam, your head would really explode .... :emoji_fearful:

Mebbe