Sandy Baxter MN Project

B

bat man

I have a 12 acre lot on the Mississippi across from Crow Wing State Park. I cut in 400 yards of 10 foot wide trails yesterday, as I plan to sell it next year, and want pretty trails for prospective buyers.

I want to plant them in clover and cereal rye to hunt it this fall.

Will the clover and rye grow okay in the sandier soil? On areas with steep grade should I just leave the current grasses grow so they don't wash out, or can I run clover there as well?

Plan was to spray, and plant and let the rain do its thing.

Sandy soil guys thoughts? Anything that may work better?

I would add Alsike or Medium red clover into the grass on the slopes this sept. Lots of guys add this to their pastures with some success.

Stu is correct when saying clover does not grow in Blow sand very well. It does grow in Black sand however, and there is some of that around.

But if you just want trails I would not remove any grass, on slopes or flat ground. Shaded trails do not grow good food plots anyways.

I have sandy loam soils and can get white clover to grow nicely......but it does require lots of lime to do so. Rye grain is your friend. Don't take the existing plant life off those hills!

It seems like you are not really pushing this as a hunting property, more so a rec property with proximity to the River. In that case, I would go with MNFish's option of using a shade tolerant perennial ryegrass. The Slicker's will know even less than the Fudd's, all they are looking for is a nice green walk path with no prickers or burdocks to get in there toeless sandals. Overseed it without remove the existing vegetation, it will take over the seeded area soon enough.

I know a lot of people here hate the buck on a bag mixes, but those throw and go type mixes can work well on trails like yours. Last summer I thought my ATV sprayer was turned off and I made a U-turn through my front yard. Turns out the sprayer was still going and I killed a path through my well shaded front yard. I didn't have any grass seed on hand, but I did have a partial bag of a throw and go food plot seed mix that included clovers, annual alfalfa, annual ryegrass, brassicas and who knows what else. I threw that on the sprayed area and it grew really well. It looked goofy as hell though because that mix grew 3 times as fast as the rest of my yard and it was a completely different shade of green. And even though the seeds on that bag were listed as annuals they came back this year as well.

I planted chicory on that type of soil for my dad and it grew fast and was browsed heavily. I've tried ladino clover twice but it never came up. Turnips have been ok but struggled with that sand.

I have extremely sandy soil, like if there was a lake close by it'd be a public beach. Alsike and Med Red do pretty well all things considered.

I think I am looking at one of my old fishing hot spots.

Was there an old homestead between you and the Mississippi-to the left?

I think I am looking at one of my old fishing hot spots.

Was there an old homestead between you and the Mississippi-to the left?

Not for certain Art.

Thanks for all the feed back guys.