Roxbury Russet ??

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Anyone out there have any experience growing Roxbury Russet ?? In some ways, it sounds like it might be a good deer apple, as well as an eater. Just wondering for a possible future planting.

Had a small first crop (4 or 5 apples) this year on mine. This was a bad apple year here, but those apples were the best looking ones I had. Went on a trip for about a week around the time they were ripening and the Jap Beetles had devoured them when I got home.

The tree showed no signs of CAR of FB this year, but it wasn't a bad year for either of those diseases. The reason for the poor apple crop in general this year was a late freeze at blooming time followed by an early drought.

Jury is still out on RR but I like what I saw this time.

Last edited:
My roxbury has produced for 3 years. No major desease issues. It has a very good flavor and is a great cider apple. Ripens early to mid October at my farm. For a later ripening variety, consider yates, arkansas black and black twig

I lost a Roxbury Russet to winter kill (I think) 2 years ago. I had grafted one before it died so i'll likely try it once more.

image20140830081828101.jpg

Thanks guys for the info. Any more info is welcome !!

Dan - I have an Ark. Black planted at camp and it's growing well. Can't wait to see it fruit.

Bowsnbucks, arkansas black is a great apple, hard and tart when picked, sweetening up slowly in storage, and is a long keeper, reliable cropper yearly.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 5
Dan - Thanks for the pic and info. I just planted the Ark. Black ( on MM-111 root ) this past spring, so I don't expect apples until 2017 at the earliest. It took right off though, so things are looking good. Our camp started out on a planting program 3 years ago for apples and crabs. We figured we'd try maybe 6 to 10 trees. Things grew so well the members wanted to plant more. After this coming spring, we'll be over 60 trees !! That'll finish it - we're out of clear space. The only spots left ( then ) are on the edge of a food plot that gets plenty of sun. That's where I was thinking of planting a Roxbury Russet.

Dan - Thanks for the pic and info. I just planted the Ark. Black ( on MM-111 root ) this past spring, so I don't expect apples until 2017 at the earliest. It took right off though, so things are looking good. Our camp started out on a planting program 3 years ago for apples and crabs. We figured we'd try maybe 6 to 10 trees. Things grew so well the members wanted to plant more. After this coming spring, we'll be over 60 trees !! That'll finish it - we're out of clear space. The only spots left ( then ) are on the edge of a food plot that gets plenty of sun. That's where I was thinking of planting a Roxbury Russet.
If you need Roxbury scion, let me know. Last month, I made sweet cider from blend of Roxbury, golden russet and grimes golden, best I have ever tasted, very dark, thick and sweet.

I won't need scion, Dan, but thanks for the offer. I'll just get 2 trees from Cummins and skip the waiting/grafting. I read the Roxbury is a little sweeter than some of the other russet apples, so that sounded good. It's also supposed to be a good producer. From all I read, it sounds like a winner.