All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round up ready corn????

Garrett2006

5 year old buck +
Planted round up ready corn couple weeks ago. All corn is up around 8–12”. We have had loads of rain, o top of the field was speed with chicken litter before planting. So, the weeds & grass started to get out of control. Sprayed the corn this past Sunday (yesterday). Well today (Monday) it’s got brown dead looking spots on the leaves. Come to find out my buddy used RM18 a fast acting round up from tractor supply & Mixed sort of heavy. Do you guys think the corn will bounce back and be ok or will It continue to dye off? Used same corn last year & sprayed twice with 41% round up and didn’t do this. Thanks.

Attachments

• 07B991AC-F33A-448A-A111-D954DEC6F7A1.jpeg
    07B991AC-F33A-448A-A111-D954DEC6F7A1.jpeg
    765.2 KB · Views: 43
It is toast! That was not roundup. It was mixed with diquat. The corn is glyphosate resistant, not diquat resistant. You need to read the ingredients. Your buddy was not so much a buddy. :emoji_scream:

Yoder is correct. Diquat was in that herbicide and it is a contact, non-selective herbicide. Wherever the herbicide contacted will most likely die depending on how much of the leaf it contacted. The corn may grow out of it, but yields won't be pretty. More than likely, the crop will be a favor, especially if your buddy mixes at a high rates.

What I was thinking too, figured I’d ask though. We had a really good rain last night, just maybe that will have helped save it. Probably not though

Well the field should be good and clean. Maybe clean it up a bit more and plant some 60 day sweet corn or just go plant some rr beans now.

I think there's a chance your corn will be ok. Monsanto or whatever they are now added diquat to fool the public into believing the glyphosate was having an immediate effect. People spray today and want brown tomorrow. But, they couldn't add enough to totally desiccate the plant. If they did, the glyphosate wouldn't get into the plant to work. The damage you see in the picture is probably the full extent of the damage you will see under typical growing circumstances, but who knows about typical these days....