Rootstock for Loamy Soil?

letemgrow

5 year old buck +
Would B118 be a good one for this? This is a day after a heavy rain event.

b861789a97bcfe766861730e5a7cdd5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B118 has pretty fine roots. Whats the history of the ground? Is it real compacted, used to be tilled.

M111 is better for heavier soils. Atleast what they say. Planted more M111's than B118's. Rototilled a larger circle for my B118. Hope it doesn't backfire, I have vole issues.

Ordered a few M7 rootstock too, they make smaller tree though. Just wanted a few to produce sooner.

Not sure what you had for rain, my soil would look alot worse if it's the same storm I had in NY today....

Hopefully some more experienced folks chime in, but I wouldn't cancel you order if you have B118 coming it. However, I would try some M111's to see if they grow faster. Loam usually means a layer of clay underneath.

Last edited:
B118 has pretty fine roots. Whats the history of the ground? Is it real compacted, used to be tilled.

M111 is better for heavier soils. Atleast what they say. Planted more M111's than B118's. Rototilled a larger circle for my B118. Hope it doesn't backfire, I have vole issues.

Ordered a few M7 rootstock too, they make smaller tree though. Just wanted a few to produce sooner.

Not sure what you had for rain, my soil would look alot worse if it's the same storm I had in NY today....

Hopefully some more experienced folks chime in, but I wouldn't cancel you order if you have B118 coming it. However, I would try some M111's to see if they grow faster. Loam usually means a layer of clay underneath.

I have some MM111’s I can try here also.

There were plenty of standing puddles on the gravel road by the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you would be fine either way if you have good soil depth like that pictured. B118 shines on very sandy soil and M111 does better on very heavy soils. On soils that fall somewhere in the middle I think either one does fine. Our nursery sites have always been in the middle ground, soil wise, and I see no significant difference when comparing the same varieties in terms of growth on those 2 different root stocks.

Turkey Creek,

How does the M7 rootstocks hold up in heavier soils zone 5/6. Also, Think B118 in sandy soil is good in zone 3? Thinking redfield, trailman, and kerr for up in 3. Giving G210,anty, and dolgo a try up there too.