Rookie ?

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
Just recently did soil test on 5 of my plots. My ph on all of them ranged from 6.5 to 7.5. The test kit didnt give instruction on what to add. Any ideas? Looking to plant grains around sept 1.

I can safely say you don't need lime. What is your P and K?

It was an antler king test, it only tells you the PH, i didnt know that when I bought it or i wouldnt have.

With that said should i use generic reccomendation for fert?

You said grains. If you’re planting cereal rye don’t as anything. It will grow on concrete if it’s wet enough.

Last edited:
Generic is easy, 5gal pail each map, urea, potash per 1/2A. Never done a test. Never seen the need. Dont trust them much anyway.

Like above, plant 80-100 lbs WR and 5-6 lbs red clover per acre. You could even go with 2-3 lbs PTT. Great fall plot and excellent early green up in spring.

Will WR grow on interior trails under canopy or partially under canopy, how bout the red clover?

Also if I go with wr/red clover will i need to use glyphosate to kill trails where planting will be done

Agree with others. Your soil PH is excellent, I wouldn't add a thing. You can add a no (or low) nitrogen fertilizer blend if you prefer but personally I wouldn't waste the money.

As Bill mentioned most cereal grains are extremely easy to grow. Just broadcast before a rain and you're fine.

Clovers, oats and rye all do well in partial shade situations. You do need to at least have a few hours of sunlight for them to do "well". Otherwise they will shoot up quick and thin out with time.

As far as your last question goes in regard to herbicide use - It depends on how much soil coverage you have on the trails you want to plant on. If there is good sections of open soil, you'll do fine. I've never used herbicide on my hidey hole foodplot and have no problem with a rye/clover blend in the fall. The key is good seed to soil contact. Without that, you won't have a great turnout.

Good luck!

Will WR grow on interior trails under canopy or partially under canopy, how bout the red clover?
Also if I go with wr/red clover will i need to use glyphosate to kill trails where planting will be done

You said you were planting food plots. Trails are not food plots.

You can overseed trails, but restricted sunlight can limit germination, growth, etc.

You should definitely kill off existing vegetation on the trails since your going to be lacking sunlight. I’ve never planted with killing off existing vegetation anyway. Some do, I don’t. Not saying my way is right or wrong, but when your lacking sunlight ( by the sounds of it your doing trails), you need every advantage now for growth and seed to soil contact.