Ripening/Drop Time Charts - Apple/Pear

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Hey fellas, ya'll have posted some great pollination charts, disease resistant charts, etc... wondering if anyones found a petty nice drop time chart that they would suggest?

Pretty sure Adams County Nursery and Grandpas Orchard/Nursery have one.

Hey fellas, ya'll have posted some great pollination charts, disease resistant charts, etc... wondering if anyones found a petty nice drop time chart that they would suggest?

Drop Time - This is a tough one in my opinion. Of course variety plays a big part in it. But so does mother nature. There are a lot of variables here.

Here's my observations.
2012 was a year of very little fruit production, late frosts followed by extreme drought wiped out crops all over the place, it was a devastating year. On the flip side 2013 turned out to be an absolutely steller year, little to no crop in 2012 and ideal conditions produced epic crops. I watched a lot of local trees in my area, many of which hung on to fruit almost FOREVER. Well into late winter (februrary and march). I checked those same trees this year and many of those same trees did produce a crop, they certainly didnt hold as long as they did in the winter of 2013/2014.

Some years could be windier than others. Drought years vs years with too much moisture. Do some years have more disease than others? What about temperatures both going into the season, during the grow season and towards the end of the season? Abnormal swings in temperature? I remember a few years back 1st of march i was wearing shorts and a tshirt and it was 75 degrees. The past 2 winters have been some of the coldest on record. How about latitude and longitude of where you are growing? Do my honeycrisps drop the same time as someone growing in alabama? So in my opinion there are a lot of variables on this topic. Even if you are looking for estimate or average, it doesnt seem like there is such a thing as a "normal" year anymore.

Well I just wanted to plan somewhat in the spots I put my trees to have enough diversity to not end up putting 5 trees that are only EARLY droppers and no expected later droppers or vice versa...

I'm looking at an Adams County Nursery catalog for 2015. Inside is a pull-out color chart of maturity dates - ripening times - that is easy to check at a glance. Contact Adams County Nursery and have them send you a catalog. Lots of good info in the catalog.

try Purdue Univ