Rep. Casey Snider for president

Laws are made for the intent of protecting its citizens. Supposedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish there'd be a robust debate about freedoms we want back.

I wish there'd be a robust debate about freedoms we want back.
For sure. Spotlighting, no bag limits, no season dates, no trespassing laws. Live free or die

For sure. Spotlighting, no bag limits, no season dates, no trespassing laws. Live free or die
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about conversations centered on oppressing minorities. Could be education, food, healthcare, land use, currency, home grown broadleaf plants, speech, press, assembly, religion, privacy.

Those ban rallies set the precedent that we should all have a say in how everyone lives their life. You may get one win, then you may find yourself on the receiving end of a mob that doesn't think you should have such a big house, use so much gasoline, have more than 1 child, receive healthcare after age 72, or have internet and phone service because you are deemed an insurrectionist.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about conversations centered on oppressing minorities. Could be education, food, healthcare, land use, currency, home grown broadleaf plants, speech, press, assembly, religion, privacy.

Those ban rallies set the precedent that we should all have a say in how everyone lives their life. You may get one win, then you may find yourself on the receiving end of a mob that doesn't think you should have such a big house, use so much gasoline, have more than 1 child, receive healthcare after age 72, or have internet and phone service because you are deemed an insurrectionist.

im not following. What in gods name does banning bait and cams to encourage fair chase have to do with minorities?

Why does "fair chase" matter? We say it is a mater of ethics. We want the animal to have a fair chance to escape the hunt and live another day. We don't want to "shoot fish in a barrel". For a 30 year old guy who grew up stalking deer with a recurve, sitting in a tree with a crossbow or worse yet a gun can be like shooting fish in a barrel. On the other hand, for a 60 year old guy who has never hunted before, sitting in a box blind with a high powered rifle and optics over bait may not be shooting fish in a barrel.

What if we restricted all deer hunting to stick bows? That would certainly be fair chase or favor the game for almost everyone, but would it be ethical? How many deer would be running around with arrows sticking out of them, wounded, never recovered?

My thoughts:

Legislation:
1) Ensure a continuing wild game resource balanced with the habitat.
2) Ensure that hunting is relatively safe. (There is risk in everything)
3) Ensure an equitable opportunity for hunters to harvest game.
4) Set a floor for broadly accepted ethical standards such that the non-hunting public is not easily offended by hunting practices. (Preserve the future of sport hunting)

Education:
1) Have discussions like this one to share our ethical approaches understanding that ethics vary with culture and culture varies with location and time.
2) Form interest groups around the sports we love (NWTF as an example) to advocate for and disseminate and ethical perspective

Personal Ethics:
1) Sleep well at night.
2) Like the person you see in the mirror when you shave or apply makeup.

Thanks,

Jack

We have far bigger fish to fry right now than worrying about if we can use a trail cam or not. I agree it's important to many of us....but my vote will be determined on much greater factors. Mostly, those who put AMERICA and law abiding, hard working, AMERICAN'S first! That is what made this country so great to begin with, and it is what will keep this country strong moving forward.

im not following. What in gods name does banning bait and cams to encourage fair chase have to do with minorities?
I'm not talking black and brown people, I'm talking people not of sufficient numbers to stave off a vote to squash them. If you get to ban two things you don't like, what if those folks weave together a coalition to ban two things you use, for example, enclosed blinds and scopes. Once those are gone, then the hyper religious will want to protect bucks from sunday hunters, so they ban hunting on Sundays. Then the CWD crowd gets in on it and they ban scents, minerals, and urine. If you're a non-resident, what if the residents decide you shouldn't be allowed to hunt during the best part of the rut?

See where this goes? It should be guided by what is best for the resource, and not scientics. I just made the word up. #CopyrightSD2021

I have never hunted over bait but I am not opposed to it where it is legal.

I do use trailcam's, but despite using them since a time when you had a brown box that you had to put a camera inside and take the film to get developed and wait a couple days to get 30 pictures of the same deer... I have only killed 3 bucks that I got on trailcam prior to the harvest. I can certainly see the argument to cell-cams that send a picture to your phone but I am a "to each is your own" kind of guy. Guides making money in that manner is more of an issue but none of my concern to be honest.

The article makes a few fair points but as with any government control, somewhere down the road the interpretation of "fair chase" changes by the next person in power that wants change. An anti-hunter is a good example considering the cancel culture we are currently in.

Did any of you read the comments under the article? Clearly people that have never hunted giving their vision of what hunting is like or should be. Ill post a few below :emoji_disappointed:

" It's a good start, but I'd hope later they'd go after these private hunting compounds where they allow stocking of birds or creating a space where the deer and elk think they're safe 11 months out of the year, only to have lazy "hunters" come in to slaughter them in exchange for a big payment to the owner. It's akin to fishing at a hatchery."

"Baiting and cameras being banned is a good & fair idea. If not, maybe the next logical step for the lazy hunter might be to have a long gun tree mounted beneath the camera with the trigger set to be pulled from a cameras motion sensor device. Then comes an email to say dinner is served"

"Pfft, most hunters don’t care about a “fair chase,” they just want to murder something. Let them go to slaughterhouses and kill cows or pigs. Better yet, let them hunt each other"

I'm not talking black and brown people, I'm talking people not of sufficient numbers to stave off a vote to squash them. If you get to ban two things you don't like, what if those folks weave together a coalition to ban two things you use, for example, enclosed blinds and scopes. Once those are gone, then the hyper religious will want to protect bucks from sunday hunters, so they ban hunting on Sundays. Then the CWD crowd gets in on it and they ban scents, minerals, and urine. If you're a non-resident, what if the residents decide you shouldn't be allowed to hunt during the best part of the rut?

See where this goes? It should be guided by what is best for the resource, and not scientics. I just made the word up. #CopyrightSD2021
Gotcha I was like man I can’t handle a blm debate here too!!
Yeah I get that point of view but all laws, especially game laws, are going to be restrictive against the people who want to act in violation. While we may overwhelmingly agree night hunting is wrong, there are those who have no problem with it. Should we make it legal as to not offend them? I know a lot of people who think game cameras, especially cellular, have gone too far. Are they wrong? Not in their and my eyes we aren’t. Especially on public land. It’s damn near an invasion of privacy at best and voyeurism at worst.

voyeurism at worst
I wasn't sure exactly what voyeurism was so I googled it and lol

noun
noun: voyeurism
  1. the practice of gaining sexual pleasure from watching others when they are naked or engaged in sexual activity.
    "internet sites dedicated to the act of voyeurism"

I wasn't sure exactly what voyeurism was so I googled it and lol

noun
noun: voyeurism
  1. the practice of gaining sexual pleasure from watching others when they are naked or engaged in sexual activity.
    "internet sites dedicated to the act of voyeurism"
Haha well if I’m taking a piss next to a waterhole and there are 5 cell cams I can’t promise someone isn’t enjoying that view!!!

Yep - he thinks what is good for him is good for everyone. Trail cameras are used for so much more than killing a deer or elk. Surveys to determine how many deer should be removed from an area. Surveys to determine fawn recruitment. Surveys to determine how many deer have been removed. Surveys to determine predator loads. Game cams are responsible for the removal of tens of thousands of hogs and predators every year - maybe millions. I do understand the problems they are having on some public land out west - but to apply it any further than those isolated circumstances is a true depiction of how narrow minded and uninformed he really is.