Reloading for the 280 Remington

At one time.....I would dump a charge into the scale pan.....and use that little spoon made by RCBS to add or remove a few grains of powder. The easiest method after getting a good setting on my powder measure......was to set the RCBS manual-spin powder trickle with the tube dropping into the scale pan.....and simply tap the tube with the spoon to add a few granules of powder.

Seemed that was about as quick as any method out there for stick powders. With ball powder......I could normally just set my (Redding or RCBS) powder measure......and after a few tweaks it would repeat to the 1/10 of a grain. I'd just check about every tenth load for QC......but it often would stay spot-on though loading of hundreds of rounds. I still prefer balance beam scales over the electronic stuff.....maybe it's just me and my adverse relationship with electronic stuff.

One ball powder that has been quite versatile for me was / is Hodgedon 380. I have used it in loads for my 22-250 on up to my 280 Remington (IIRC). Really easy to meter though a powder measure.
If I'm over charge I just lick my finger and pick up a few kernels with my finger tip.

Ball powder usually goes through a measure like sht through a tin horn. I use W748 for my 300 savage and 30-30 dumps great through my measure.

$1070 for an auto trickler? That's just nuts unless you're in the business of reloading. I do it for the enjoyment and satisfaction.

Just screwing around one time I pulled the motor out of an old cassette player and mounted it with a battery box and momentary push button switch. I mounted a pulley from the cassette player to my trickler and voila had my own motorized trickler. Quit using it cause it was easier to spin the trickler with my finger. Never have to worry about my finger being dead or bluetooth not working either.

Overkill for most applications definitely. I mostly just posted it because @Foggy47 mentioned preferring the beams over the electronic stuff but the electronic stuff has been getting really good (albeit expensive)! Having something that is both fast and more precise than you need is a nicety. I don't enjoy reloading, I'd much rather be shooting.

The autotricklers have been the cats ass for a while. Dispenses charges to within a kernal quite a bit faster than my RCBS chargemaster gets em to within 3 or 4 kernals with an occasional overthrow.

But this new one might steal the show

I've never had a manual powder thrower as i started with a chargemaster but might get a harrells precision to throw ball powder for less than top precision 223 ammo pretty soon here.
I've got a Harrels powder measure down here in OZ.....along with other benchrest equipment. I do not use that stuff and had planned to sell it. If you interested we should talk. I used it mostly for Bench Rest Competition a few years back. Nice measure for sure. Also have a Harrels Press. Maybe some other goodies of interest.

The autotricklers have been the cats ass for a while. Dispenses charges to within a kernal quite a bit faster than my RCBS chargemaster gets em to within 3 or 4 kernals with an occasional overthrow.

But this new one might steal the show

I've never had a manual powder thrower as i started with a chargemaster but might get a harrells precision to throw ball powder for less than top precision 223 ammo pretty soon here.
I've got a Harrel's Powder Measure for sale. I've got some drop tubes and bottles for it too. I used to use it when I shot benchrest some years ago. Not sure what they sell for these days.....but I could bring mine back from OZ to MN if we can make a deal. I did haul all my benchrest stuff down here.....and had planned to sell it.....but been too busy playing golf and too lazy to work on it.