Red clover

Yarg

5 year old buck +
What would be a recommended red clover.. I have an acre and a half adjacent to my Alice white and I thought I would add diversity...or am i better off just making it all Alice.. Thanks

I just planted Freedom MR. Finer stems and less pubescence (hairs) on the stems as well as improved winter survival is what did it for me. I can not say as to weather or not the deer eat it as it's only about an 1/8" tall. lol I'm sure they will.

Depends on if you want it in long term clover or if you want to plant something else like soybeans or brassicas in that area. No point in using a perennial clover like Alice if you are going to put something else there. That said, any of the improved varieties of medium red should last at least a couple seasons for you. Maybe try to find some Marathon or Arlington. If you have dry soils or have acidic soils, mammoth red clover, might be a better choice, but it is not nearly as long lived as the medium reds listed above. The Freedom MR mentioned above is a newer variety that is very good as well.

I’ve always planted to medium red variety. Plot usually only lasts 2 years but the deer hammer it.

Two more good improved varieties are Burduro and Kenland. I would also check with the local soil conservation service in your particular area and ask if there is a particular improved cultivar of MRC that farmers use in your location. They might put you on to one that does really well there.

Last edited:
Years ago LickCreek recommended Alta-swede mammoth red clover to go in a mix. It's listed as a green manure type clover that grows tall and gets stemy. All the stuff you'd think deer wouldn't prefer but I have a solid stand of it that they just hammer.

I use plain ole medium red from the local coop with great results. Lasts two full years. Planted with and overseeded with rye with each fall. Just replanted one last week. Going to overseed with rye next year and then with rye and clover again Sept of 2020 in hopes of keeping it in clover for many years with no maintenance other than overseeding.

I use plain ole medium red from the local coop with great results. Lasts two full years. Planted with and overseeded with rye with each fall. Just replanted one last week. Going to overseed with rye next year and then with rye and clover again Sept of 2020 in hopes of keeping it in clover for many years with no maintenance other than overseeding.
I've never heard of the variety "Plain Ole", is that an improved variety from Sweden? :emoji_wink:

Most likely just VNS red clover, which means it could be just about any variety, improved or not, it is just not from a certified seed source.

Can you frost seed red clover into an established ladino clover plot to thicken it up and fight weeds and grasses or would it be best just to frost seed more ladino?

Can you frost seed red clover into an established ladino clover plot to thicken it up and fight weeds and grasses or would it be best just to frost seed more ladino?
That would be fine, either will work and the red/white combo could help during times of stress for the clover, as each has their own tolerances for drought, cold, etc.

I find medium red to be a good short-lived perennial clover for many applications.

Years ago LickCreek recommended Alta-swede mammoth red clover to go in a mix. It's listed as a green manure type clover that grows tall and gets stemy. All the stuff you'd think deer wouldn't prefer but I have a solid stand of it that they just hammer.

I have used Alta-swede for several years now. It is only $3.25/lbs. I usually overseed in July/Aug in my beans, then overseed in early Sept with WR. Following spring I have a great early green up. Can terminate early for beans planting or in July for brassica plantings. Deer love both and good nitrogen scavenging/OM production.

Two more good improved varieties are Burdaro and Kenland. I would also check with the local soil conservation service in your particular area and ask if there is a particular improved cultivar of MRC that farmers use in your location. They might put you on to one that does really well there.
if you find Burdaro - It's great! I can't seem to find it anywhere but in a mix from Evolved harvest however.......

I'd like to try it but doubt it would survive a Minnesota winter.

I'd like to try it but doubt it would survive a Minnesota winter.
I might be a bit leery about it in the far north, as I believe it was adapted for the mid-South. I know the University of Auburn has done extensive trials with it and it has performed well. That said, even in MN I think it would grow and survive just fine for a year or 2, but the longevity might be lacking. North of IL, I would look at a more tried and true northern variety like Marathon or Arlington, which were developed in WI.

Just for the record, it is Barduro, not Burdaro. The spelling might have something to do with it being hard to find? Barenbrug Seeds carries it...apparently...

https://www.barusa.com/professional-forage/products/barduro.htm
I can't seem to get ANY response form them.....I have tried several times. And you may be right on the spelling - I just copied how Native spelled it..... All I know is that it grew great for me and the critters loved it.

I would like to try Barduro also, this is the only place I found that is selling it other than a mix.
https://www.geneticseed.com/comm_viewproduct.aspx?ID=3723
Thanks for the link.....when I get some extra coin I'll check into buying some. IF I do I will make a post to sell some so others can try as not everyone needs $130 of red clover seed!

For you guys advocating unique clovers ... what evidence do you have that deer prefer their browse over typical feedmill varieties?

Based on your evaluation of his soil type, soil tests, and location what is recommended?

I mean the local coop has a pretty good handle on varieties suited locally right?

Last edited: