Really sandy soil- where to start??

My soil looks very similar to this. There is hope for you, my friend! When I first started, the PH was 5.0 and has gradually increased with lime applications. I have been able to grow WW, WR, AWP, CC, Chicory and Milo fairly well. I have had shockingly good results with Durana, but I did have to reseed this year after 3 years and I'm thinking it had to do with how poor the soil is. Cowpeas have grown ok, still looking for a warm season legume that does better. BW has been a bust, it just simply will not grow. Could be the area I'm in for the BW (zone 7). Still trying to find a warm season mix that will grow well for my area. Going to give Sunnhemp and Sorghum Sudangrass a try this spring along with CP and Milo. I have had great results with no tilling and terrible results with tillage. FWIW, 2 years of no tilling has darkened the top soil some, but it is still very light! Out of what all I've planted, I'd say WR and Chicory have grown the best for me. WW does grow well but does not get the height WR does.

This ^^^^^^^ is my experience on sandy loam

My best results are with rye,arrowleaf clover, and crimson clover

Buckwheat is an abject failure in my hands

Rye is a many splendored thing

bill

I should know this but I’m going to ask for verification.

Very clear on the difference of Rye Grass but for this application would any cereal (winter or ???) rye differ? Asking as I know WR is tough to find in the fall & winter… guessing the spring will be all the harder.

There are a few varieties. Elbon and wrens aruzzi most common. I can’t tell the difference between them when planted.

I had planted a mix when I first started plotting, and it had “high sugar ryegrass” in the mixture. It’s a love hate thing with me. The stuff has grown good, comes back every damn year, and the deer eat it. But it is in my plot, and I haven’t been able to get rid of it. I would never plant it again, but it grew on some bad soil, and the deer eat it. I have just adjusted to it. I lightly disc it and plant in it.

I had planted a mix when I first started plotting, and it had “high sugar ryegrass” in the mixture. It’s a love hate thing with me. The stuff has grown good, comes back every damn year, and the deer eat it. But it is in my plot, and I haven’t been able to get rid of it. I would never plant it again, but it grew on some bad soil, and the deer eat it. I have just adjusted to it. I lightly disc it and plant in it.
I don’t plant it in my plots. Only on trails and such.

And if deer eat it what does it matter?

I think I planted around 8pounds per acre and some I no tilled with a rented drill but switch seed can be planted with my regular kasco drill.I have also broadcast but I only do this frost seeding

Korean/Kobe lespedeza will grow on sand where few other legumes will grow.

I couldn't put sandy soils and southern Ohio together in my head. Are you anywhere close to the Ohio River?
I would second the idea what we are looking at is not natural to the native (top?) soils. It looks to be dumped from somewhere else.

Wish I could tell you more… but I ve got nothing (other than the urge to get something growing there this spring)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I could tell you more… but I ve got nothing (other than the urge to get something growing there this spring)

If it's fracking sand, I'll be amazed if you get anything to grow without getting down to the native soil

Those sand mounds look unnatural to me, spoils from road/trail work? I have sandy soil and even I wouldn't try to plant that to a food plot. I'd go with a bunch of pines.
I was thinking old strip mine as soon as I saw it. Should be public mine maps you can look up. It'll probably be really acidic.

Can you dig down and see if there is soil under it?

The next time I am down there I will give it a try.

There does appear to be a bunch in the area (even beyond this property) and it appears to
be localized.

As much as i never had envisioned saying this- I’m tempted to try PRG or a sucragrass if it will grow. Food is the lowest hole in the property and area bucket..and even though this stuff isn’t great… it’s biomass and beats beach scene

The next time I am down there I will give it a try.

There does appear to be a bunch in the area (even beyond this property) and it appears to
be localized.

As much as i never had envisioned saying this- I’m tempted to try PRG or a sucragrass if it will grow. Food is the lowest hole in the property and area bucket..and even though this stuff isn’t great… it’s biomass and beats beach scene
I think ryegrass is your way to go. Build biomass and roots. Transition out of it later. Or just grow clover and sweet ryegrass. The deer love it.

In my dedicated flat plots I don’t use ryegrass. But I use high sugar ryegrass everywhere else. The deer hammer it.

Once stable you can also kill it all and grow native warm season grasses like switch. Then when established throw some more HS ryegrass in with it, or let some volunteer come back up.

I’m mainly no till. But I would consider using a disc to smooth out those mounds and then plant sweet spot thick on top and drag or cultipack.

I’m mainly no till. But I would consider using a disc to smooth out those mounds and then plant sweet spot thick on top and drag or cultipack.

Will be hand performed but giving it a go.