Really sandy soil- where to start??

Garrett S

5 year old buck +
So I am purchasing a place in southern OH with some super sandy soil. I will run a sand/soil ( haha ;) ) sample but have never seen anything like this. Seems quite erosion prone as it is non cohesive. Other areas of the parceL have the tan slick as oil when wet sandy clay.

Had heard oats and planned to go that route. All “by hand” non mechanical work as of now too- if this wasn’t hard enough. At least there Aren’t weeds at this point . Lol

Anyone deal with this before?? Would love to build up some biomass and get to plotting it (or even bedding) one day.
2710735a5b1a4408f265fe8a7a10d537.jpg

193e948d85c47aad1f6dc8414d79af59.jpg

d3410b18a155e4b7c84f7f114b162e43.jpg

8e08abad3071fd285f6a39e33b8c4fd5.jpg

I imagine some would say buckwheat,Might also check out how Grant Woods improved his soil.It was rocky but he made dirt.If you didn't want a food plot there plant switch or a mix of NWSG

I would suggest planting Sorghum-sudangrass hybrid. You will need to add nitrogen while growing and may need a second fertilization once it gets 12'-18' due to leaching in the sandy soil. It will get 6'-10' tall and you can mow a couple of times and it will regrow. See link below from SARE.

Sorghum Sudan

Mowing is a no go- I would even be scared to use a brush head weedeater on those slopes. I didn’t think of either nwsg or Sudan sorghum. Appreciate those suggestions.

Those sand mounds look unnatural to me, spoils from road/trail work? I have sandy soil and even I wouldn't try to plant that to a food plot. I'd go with a bunch of pines.

I have never dealt with that sandy of soils, but I think what I would do is encourage weeds, plant winter rye, or anything, just to get something growing on it. After you establish something, keep planting in it.

I am not sure if there is a weed bed in that or not, but scratching the surface with a disc, or a drag may bring up some old seeds. If you have local farms, cow, or horse manure would help a lot, not only is it full of nutrients, but usually full of wild seeds. Other then that, I would make a big pond, throw a towel down and enjoy the beach.

If there's nothing growing there now, that's a pretty good clue as to what will grow there in the future. Unless there's a bunch of much better soil under that sand I wouldn't waste my time trying to grow a foodplot there. Plant pines and pray for rain.

Heavy heavy grasses. Sorghum. Sorghum Sudan. Millet. Rye.

Will sound like blasphemy but ryegrass will help. Has great roots and can get some new high sugar varieties deer love.

Also plant heavy. Then after germinates go back and reseed areas that washed. I find you need kind of gentle rains to get things growing without washing, then can tolerate heavier rains.

Always leave green. Plant into green every time and never kill everything off.

Another good OM builder for sandy soils is hairy vetch.

Hairy Vetch

Another good OM builder for sandy soils is hairy vetch.

Hairy Vetch

I had some HV left when I was done planting this summer. I spread the rest of it in my open spots around the woods. Bees are gonna like that.

I also put it in my nursery plot. I’m a little worried about that though. One of my primary objectives for that plot was standing yellow sweet clover as screen and cover in the fall, and I’m afraid the vetch may pull it to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some HV left when I was done planting this summer. I spread the rest of it in my open spots around the woods. Bees are gonna like that.

I also put it in my nursery plot. I’m a little worried about that though. One of my primary objectives for that plot was standing yellow sweet clover as screen and cover in the fall, and I’m afraid the vetch may pull it to the ground.

I put a bunch out too. We will see how it does.

Here cowpeas do well with ground stabilization. If you have a way to get them in the ground they will cover everything up.

The sand mounds look unnatural to me as well.

I have zero experience with sandy soil but I am sure some here from Texas could help, someone around your place is growing a food plot or AG so it wouldn't hurt to ask your locals.

Is there any possibility of getting less than quality topsoil imported, like someone digging out a foundation or a construction company, or even something like sawdust or wood chips from a local sawmill to help you retain moisture? I have gotten hundreds of dumptruck loads of free ditch diggings from when the county cleans out the ditches, the stuff I got is silty but pretty fertile dirt and retains moisture, the ditches in your area are likely sand as well though. You can definitely build the soil up over time but getting started without luck of timely rain it would be a tough start. Near me the County and also the local City DPW has heaps of leaves that residents can drop off (or pick up) there this time of year which would take awhile to break down but again its a start and would make worms happy if you have any in the sand :) Maybe you have a local farmer that can spread manure cheap? Old straw and hay I can get from my local farmers wicked cheap and would retain moisture. This time of year everyone is throwing away pumpkins :)

Just trying to think of cheap ways to get a head start for you.

Some great ideas there. No aversion to planting, or transplanting, conifers there. I just know that it’s eroding and useless for deer.

I may try HV, rye grass, oats and peas… see what (and hopefully something) takes and keep putting seeds to it.

The joke on beach blankets and umbrellas has been made many times. That being said- I didn’t think of making a pond there. Not a bad idea.

The idea of bringing in leaves or wood chips is a darn fine one too. Lots of sawdust and wood chips to be had in ohio.

You guys rock. Thank you all for the information and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Alot of places in the adirondacks looks like that.

Sand doesn't have much, but it doesnt take much to steer it. A little lime goes a long way without organic material or clay to absorb it. I do food plots in the adirondacks in similar spots. There's spots with a layer of organic mterial (tree decay), then right next to it the water washes it out. Think thirds.... put a third of the lime yourre used to using, think about fertilizer lightly tw or three times a year than a heavy dose.

Hairy vetch, grains will do ok, even clovers do alright. Drought resistance is the key here. An oddball I use in "dead" sandy areas that get sunlight on a logging land lease is plantain. Plant some green cover seeds early spring and early fall. Summers will be tough for awhile.

A place you can learn alot from is the albany pine bush preserve. New mexico and arizona ranchers or deer farms might have some opinions.

prarie willow and blueberry mmight be your friends there. Deer can enjoy many native bushes and shrubs. White pines, juniper, and cedars work good there. bayberry, beach plum, and bear oak might be helpful to you too.

Rake under the shrub and spread some it around. Some of these very hardy shrubs likely have seeds in there.

Again, you nudge a place like that, dont hit anything hard ,except maybe seed.

Mixing 3 parts pelletized lime and one part fertilizer and lightly applying it to the native forage there will make it look alot better.

Long term, promoting anything that grow will help. Adding organics like wood chips, leaf litter, or burning branches will help.

Avoid you temptation to level it out right away. A very mild device just to stir some seeds into the sand a bit will be better. Tire drag chain harrow. You get spots with deeper layers of organic material right next to dead sand. You level that flat, you'll bury anything good.

Mine remediation strategies will work in a place like that.

This place a good deal?

BLR are you a NY guy as well? I’m wNY.

Lots of considerations and thoughts there. Never thought I’d the ADKS but you’re right with similarities. The main area like this is maybe an acre and there are couple other small ones (4ac).

As for a good deal. Yes in a lot of ways. It has some aspects that draw me like a moth to a flame. Not much has made me question it. The closing process has not been fun… but that’s a different story for a different time.

Really appreciate the insight and suggestions

I have sugar sand that i planted into NWSG and it grows fine.You may want to do a soil sample as could it be soil that was contaminated with something say salt water.I have a couple spots where there were oil wells years ago

If you can work it in, activated biochar would be a good amendment. Holds moisture, nutrients, and gives microorganisms a place to live. Also, won't lose nutrients to leaching as quickly as compost or fertilizer. Doesn't cost much if you make it yourself. I use brush and branches from habitat improvements. I've only played with it in my home garden though. No way to work it in on my food plots. Be sure to activate the biochar or it can tie up nutrients for a couple years.

I have sugar sand that i planted into NWSG and it grows fine.You may want to do a soil sample as could it be soil that was contaminated with something say salt water.I have a couple spots where there were oil wells years ago

That is a great point and a suspect concern as this is definitely a well area.

How many PDS per ac did you plant your switch? Drill or broadcast?

If you can work it in, activated biochar would be a good amendment. Holds moisture, nutrients, and gives microorganisms a place to live. Also, won't lose nutrients to leaching as quickly as compost or fertilizer. Doesn't cost much if you make it yourself. I use brush and branches from habitat improvements. I've only played with it in my home garden though. No way to work it in on my food plots. Be sure to activate the biochar or it can tie up nutrients for a couple years.

That’s a new term to me… will be researching it. Thanks!