Re-Grafting failed Grafts.

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
So you've planted a grafted rootstock in its final resting place. The graft didn't take, do you graft to the the new shoot growth of the roostock that grew the previous year or do you cut tree off below its original graft and graft to that? Not a lot online about this...

I had a number of failed bench grafts that I T budded last August. Depending how high the bench graft was, the T bud went below it or on new growth from below the graft.

I will cleft graft in May what T buds fail. I'll decide when I get there whether that goes below the first bench graft or on last year's growth.

IMO makes no real difference. Haven't seen anything in print that would indicate either way has an advantage. If you get multiple failures you can eventually just call it top working your root stock!:D

I go below the grafted Union of the failure to ensure there is good green cambium in the rootstock to ensure it was not the reason for the failure. Just don't fail too many times or you will be calling that rootstock stubby lol

Lol perennial failure, please Lord, not I. :)

Well guys, do I graft this weekend (ALREADY?) or wait....

I can't believe the weather compared to the last 2 years....

Attachments

• weather.jpg
    weather.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 2
If you have scion wood and roots why wait? I have grafts all 25 rootstocks so far and am getting 25 more while I wait for more scion wood to arrive. The temp in your holding area can be controlled. I put my grafts in my living room in a bucket after a week of settle off in basement

If you have scion wood and roots why wait? I have grafts all 25 rootstocks so far and am getting 25 more while I wait for more scion wood to arrive. The temp in your holding area can be controlled. I put my grafts in my living room in a bucket after a week of settle off in basement

No no no, I mean the roostock that are outside planted where they will be forever. Those grafts that failed last year, when do I do those?

I think the rule for doing that would be the same as top working, usually when the leaves on the root stock are the size of a squirrel's ear.

I'd wait until you think you won't get another frost. Probably May for me.

I'd wait until you think you won't get another frost. Probably May for me.

The scions are normally budded out by then in the fridge though. Doggone timelines!

He hits on this point..

If they are budding out in the fridge they are either too warm or you are possibly collecting them a bit late. My scions are still normally good in early June.

If they are budding out in the fridge they are either too warm or you are possibly collecting them a bit late. My scions are still normally good in early June.

I collected mine when it was 28 degrees. I just remember some I got from folks this past year when I grafted for the first time, after a time they green up in the buds.

No no no, I mean the roostock that are outside planted where they will be forever. Those grafts that failed last year, when do I do those?
So I am the dumb ass lol. Sorry dude

No I just assumed you meant bench grafting duhhhhh. I am blond

Never my head is like a size 8. Damn ugly and oversized