rack/shelf/hanger/holder for 1 gallon round rootmaker plastic pots

jaximus

5 year old buck +
what do you guys use to secure your 1 gallon rootmaker round plastic pots to keep them from blowing over in the wind. i have 10 with b118 rootstocks that im keeping in pots until the fall, they were the weakest of my batch of rootstocks, and they are now around 4 ft tall. ive pruned all the side branches off so its just one leader growing straight up. the wind blows these around pretty easily. i also have 17 grape vine cuttings that are in the 1 gallon pots that range in size from 12" to 48" tall. the bigger vines have a small trellis. these are tough to keep upright in any sort of wind.

i was thinking of a frame type deal to hold them, but was struggling with ideas. i figure something that looks like a ladder, laid horizontally where the spacing of the 'rungs' would hold the pots by the lip at the top leaving the pot to hang. the pots had been set on the deck rail and when the plants were smaller it worked really well. now, they are too big and just blow over.

i will be moving in a couple months for a new job, so planting them isnt really an option unless i wanted to just put them out on my brothers land and have to move them again in the spring after the logging.

another option i was thinking would be to build a 4 ft by 1.5ft by 1 ft deep cedar planter with a liner and plant 2 grape vines in each. then just grow them as a container plant for a while.

im concerned with ease of moving and probably wanting to make something i can use for a few years as i plan to do grape vine cuttings for a few years

Couldn't you put them up against a fence if you have one available and run a string down in front of the trees and have it snug enough against fence to keep them upright. Put string near top height to keep then up.

the string idea would work for the apple rootstocks in the pots, but the grapes would get all tangled up in there. they grab onto the deck railing the way it is and its a mess.

i think im going to just build some larger planters out of cedar and plant them from the pots into the big planters now that the grapes are growing so well.