Rabbit Damage

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
While I was out to the hunting property, I decided to prune my apple and pear trees. I had them caged 4ft high with screen about 18 inches up the trunks. A rabbit was able to jump over the fence due to the snow being 3 plus feet deep this year. He managed to girdle one of my Dolgos from the top down. The branches were almost all gone and the main stem was girdled about 3 feet above the ground. Should I just cut it off(just below the girdle) and leave it or do I need to try grafting some Dolgo scions to what is left?

Should be able to just cut it off at the girdle. It will push some buds below that and you select one of those to be the new central leader.

I would cut it back to a bud and let it grow.

Were these grafted dolgos or seedlings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same experience. The bunnies also eat the new buds off my pines & spruces when the snow gets 8-10". have to cage them to avoid that.

If it were mine, I'd cut it back. One additional thing I do, if it is a Dolgo seedling, is pile sand and wood chips (because that's what I usually have on hand anyway) around it several inches deep. I've noticed that pretty much any Dolgo seedling I have that gets trunk damage starts sending up lots of suckers from the roots, which in turn send out a few roots of their own into the added layer. The ones I cut this spring had three or four long roots each. I put them in pots.

Tired of waiting, Im replacing.
Guess 3 out of 58 isnt bad, but they r now on my hitlist. Love rabbit backstrap an fresh corn on the cob.
20190331_095143.jpg20190322_123014.jpg

I would cut it back to a bud and let it grow.

Were these grafted dolgos or seedlings?
Grafted

Guess 3 out of 58 isnt bad, but they r now on my hitlist. Love rabbit backstrap an fresh corn on the cob.
View attachment 23647View attachment 23648
That looks just like my tree except the trunk that is white on yours was untouched on mine. I think it was safe buried under the snow. They left me a bunch of pelletized fertilizer inside my cage too that gave away their identity.

I wouldn’t waste that root system. Can’t you bark graft something on to it?

In terms of the tree in the last picture, I wouldn't do anything for a while; I'd let the tree bud out and see how it responds. I had a mouse girdle an oak tree very badly ( deep cut) all the way around the tree; however, the tree closed the wound, healed up nicely and is doing well. Mother nature can be a tough ol gal sometimes. Good luck.

You have a root system in place. In two years, it could be back to where it was. Plant that replace ment tree elsewhere.

^^^^ These 3 guys are correct. With that root system established, if a bud or 2 send up new shoots, they'll grow like mad since the roots are already set & ready.

We're dealing with 2 deer damaged pear trees. I cut off the damaged parts and we'll see what new growth pops out this year. Trees are 4 & 5 years in the ground - root systems established. There will be new stuff sprouting and it'll grow fast because the roots are in place & ready to rock & roll.

Speaking of rabbits. I had them get over a 3’ cage on 4 trees and eat up to 5’ on the trees. Branches cut clean off. Almost thought I pruned them. Good thing about snow shoe hares is they don’t griddle they just cut it clean off.

Speaking of rabbits. I had them get over a 3’ cage on 4 trees and eat up to 5’ on the trees. Branches cut clean off. Almost thought I pruned them. Good thing about snow shoe hares is they don’t griddle they just cut it clean off.

Do you have good numbers of snowshoes?

It is now rare to see one where I used to see many.

They go in cycles. Right now we are at the high end. They are living in all the brush piles around my three plots. I get a lot of pictures of them. I am told in the 70’s (pre coyote explosion) they were behind every tree.

They go in cycles. Right now we are at the high end. They are living in all the brush piles around my three plots. I get a lot of pictures of them. I am told in the 70’s (pre coyote explosion) they were behind every tree.

We would go hunt them during the peaks in the ‘70’s.

We would go hunt them during the peaks in the ‘70’s.

Some of my friends said they would hunt them with their bows in northern WI. I guess they just sit still cause they think they are camouflaged. That was in the 90's. I have only see one on my land. I almost stepped on in it right next to my ladder stand.

Wow, they got high up! I'm now wondering if I shouldn't screen higher on mine. We won't get near 3 feet of snow in Kentucky but perhaps a foot. I think I have 18" screen with no paint. I'd wait to see if that leafed out. If not, using the rootstock sounds like the way to go.