Question on 2 apple varieties

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Does anyone out there have any experience with " Minnesota 1734 " or " Sherry " ?? I read Sherry is a late apple that can hang on the tree all winter & puts on a heavy crop each year. Minn. 1734 is some kind of russet apple that is also a late apple. I just want to hear from anyone who already has them to see if they actually are as advertised. Thanks.

Hey Mark

I have two Sherry apple trees from SLN one planted 2003 & one planted 2005. The first tree has produced apples for several years now, but the 2nd one has yet to bear fruit. The 2003 tree drops it's apples in early fall, at least so far. It's got a good crop on this year so I'll see how long this years crop holds on. I also have a Purdy (which is advertised as holding its fruit into the winter) I planted in 2001 that has been bearing fruit for several years but it drops it's fruit even earlier than the Sherry. Both trees put a good crop of apples on but have always gotten hit hard by the plum curculio ( I don't spray them) but the deer still eat them. I have two of your late hanging apple scions limb grafted to the 2005 Sherry tree & their growing good.

I grafted a sherry from greyphase last year and a Purdy from him 2 years ago. I'm curious to see how these less common varieties do.

I grafted 2 MN 1734's this year. On paper they look good so I figured why not.

Grey - Good to hear some of those late-hangers are growing for you. Both the Sherry and the Minnesota 1734 sounded like good ones to take a chance on. I figured if they perform somewhat as they're written about, they would be good additions to our apple diversity at camp. The fact that they're both supposed to be heavy croppers each year made them irresistible for deer apples. Even if heavy crops mean smaller apples - deer don't care. It'll be some years before we see any fruit on them, ( Antonovka ), but our younger members and our sons will hopefully benefit from them down the road.

Ed & Red - Me too. Not your standard deer apple varieties, but hey - they might turn out to be great producers for wildlife. May even taste good !!:)

Grey - Good to hear some of those late-hangers are growing for you. Both the Sherry and the Minnesota 1734 sounded like good ones to take a chance on. I figured if they perform somewhat as they're written about, they would be good additions to our apple diversity at camp. The fact that they're both supposed to be heavy croppers each year made them irresistible for deer apples. Even if heavy crops mean smaller apples - deer don't care. It'll be some years before we see any fruit on them, ( Antonovka ), but our younger members and our sons will hopefully benefit from them down the road.

Ed & Red - Me too. Not your standard deer apple varieties, but hey - they might turn out to be great producers for wildlife. May even taste good !!:)

I feel deer do care about apple size. they like the smaller ones!

I think you're right, Bur. It's easier to get 'em in their mouth to chew them up. They clean up every one of our smaller crabapples that hit the ground. Those trees have circular trails worn into the ground from repeated use / feeding !!

Does anyone out there have any experience with " Minnesota 1734 " or " Sherry " ?? I read Sherry is a late apple that can hang on the tree all winter & puts on a heavy crop each year. Minn. 1734 is some kind of russet apple that is also a late apple. I just want to hear from anyone who already has them to see if they actually are as advertised. Thanks.

I've planted both from SLN, but they haven't produced any fruit yet. I do have a 5 year old all winter hangover that produced a dozen apples and they actually did hold on the tree all winter.

I've planted both from SLN, but they haven't produced any fruit yet. I do have a 5 year old all winter hangover that produced a dozen apples and they actually did hold on the tree all winter.
Nice, I did graft one of those this spring that is looking good so far. How big was the apple? pics?

Nice, I did graft one of those this spring that is looking good so far. How big was the apple? pics?

I didn't notice the fruit on the tree until I was grouse hunting up there in January and I didn't have a camera along so I don't have any pictures. The fruit was maybe 1 1/2-2" in diameter and it was kind of droopy looking like it had frozen and thawed several times, but it was still on the tree. Since I didn't notice it earlier, I can't say if all the fruit held on the tree or if there were other apples that fell off earlier. I was shocked that a bear didn't tear up the tree to get the fruit.

I'm hoping to get back up to my land in a week or two and I'm pretty interested to see how the trees are looking this year.

Does anyone have any updates on how the Sherry apple tree or Sherry apple tree grafts have performed? Am especially interested in CAR affects and how long are they holding. Thank you.

Chainsaw - Our Sherry tree is growing well at hunting camp, but no fruit yet. CAR is not a problem for us there because we have no members of the juniper family that act as the alternate host for the fungus. No junipers anywhere near the cabin, so I have no idea of Sherry's CAR resistance firsthand. No apparent problems with the tree itself. We may get first apples this coming year, but I'd bet it'll be another 2 or 3 years. That's all I have on it for now.

Does anyone have any updates on how the Sherry apple tree or Sherry apple tree grafts have performed? Am especially interested in CAR affects and how long are they holding. Thank you.

My Sherry trees dropped all their fruit by late November. CAR isn't much of a problem in my area so can't comment on it.

I have a Sherry tree that hasn’t had an apple yet but is one of my biggest trees. The leaves are pretty clean. We can certainly get some scion off it if you want to add it to the list. I forgot about the tree because it hasn’t had an apple yet, it should have some next year.

I have a Sherry tree that hasn’t had an apple yet but is one of my biggest trees. The leaves are pretty clean. We can certainly get some scion off it if you want to add it to the list. I forgot about the tree because it hasn’t had an apple yet, it should have some next year.

Thanks Brownbucks and Greyphase for sharing your experience with the Sherry tree. From the sounds of it, it can drop late enough for our use although early fruit setting may not be one of its strong points. Chummer, thanks yes I would like a few scions from your Sherry to get one or two to take.

Thanks Brownbucks and Greyphase for sharing your experience with the Sherry tree. From the sounds of it, it can drop late enough for our use although early fruit setting may not be one of its strong points. Chummer, thanks yes I would like a few scions from your Sherry to get one or two to take.
I will put it on the list. The more I think though that tree might be a Brown Betty. They are planted right next to each other and one is growing great and one is not. Check out Brown Betty. I am sure it must be a late dropper I planted a group of late droppers in that spot.

I must be loosing my mind because I can’t even find a Brown Betty apple. I will have to look at the tags. It is something Betty or Betty something.

Brown-Betty Apple if that is the name of it sounds like an even better one. We'll use the better growing one and the name doesn't really matter. The performance on your land the toughest conditions in the east is the most important criteria.

Any DR characteristics of the MN 1734?