QHMG Refugees

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Looks like we're on the move again. I'm plenty salty about that thing going down. Don't much care to discuss the why and who to blame. But I learned one big lesson. I'm not building habitat threads anymore. Beyond show and tell for grown men, a big reason I had done so in the past was to create a record of what I did and when.

I've planted thousands of trees over 15 years on four different pieces of land. I've failed about every way imaginable and even learned a few things. Now, the past two years worth of info has just been taken away. Poof. I don't know what my plan is yet to continue keeping records of projects, what got planted when, soil tests etc. I do know I'm done creating original content on someone else's site.

It is all deleted I believe

That wouldn't fix my problem. I'm taking ownership of my data from here. After what we've been through from QDMA, the first blowout here, and then the QHMG collapse, It'd be foolish to continue to leave it at risk of someone else blowing it all up, equal admin rights or not. There are better ways and frankly my biggest concern is continuity and ability to search for my own stuff.

Get yourself a couple of different cloud storage accounts, something like Dropbox or Google Drive and save all your stuff to those, then "YOU" have it and you can share as you see fit. They work from all devices, phones, tablets, lappy's, PC's doesn't matter.

I will continue my threads but then again, its just apple mania nothing that would interest most of you. Plus I don't live in MN so I'm judged differently. :)

Who the sam Hill is Lee & I mine as well follow you crazy sobs....

Personally, Stu, Mo, Sd others, be nice to see your personal land tours on here. Really enjoy reading what you guys do, even a few pics, is just fine.

I'm bummed it shut down too. Happened really quick! Was there one time I checked in and gone the next.

I've got my own thread on a couple of different sites, and like you guys it's more for a personal documentary than anything else. If those threads went away I would loose quite a bit of a process that I would like to keep.

Google docs has gotten a lot of my use the last couple of yrs, but like the forums it could go away also and that scares me.

I guess good old fashioned paper and pencil is the only real way to preserve anything on your own. You guys might be surprised at the amount of info I've printed from forums/internet and put in folders.

Lee just set up a forum, anybody who wants the address - p.m. me and I'll give it to you. Those who belong to the QHMG facebook page can see the new site address there.

Stu,
You can post a link without offending me. Plenty of places on the net a guy can talk about this stuff. If HT goes into oblivion it won't be because someone started a new site, it will be because I stink at my job.

As for loosing postings and records I hear everyone. I lost a bunch info when the mothership shuttered. I should have had it backed up but didn't.

Personally, Stu, Mo, Sd others, be nice to see your personal land tours on here. Really enjoy reading what you guys do, even a few pics, is just fine.

I'll still share. I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone else. I simply want to shore up and improve my record keeping. Beyond continuity, duplicate backup, organization, control, and search function, I want to share as well.

The work of duplicating it all in a forum as well, to the level of detail I went to is what I won't do. I'm toying around with a google blogger page now. I may go that route plus an external hard drive. If I can make that function like I'd like, I'll share it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just copy and paste your threads every so often into a Word document or OneNote. You can save that on your hard drive, Google drive, USB stick, etc.

Easy advice. Harder to follow and keep up with it consistently.

I would echo the one note comment. It is like a digital notebook and works really well to add documents/notes/pictures.

It can be linked to a cloud account and used on your phone/tablet/home computer without transferring anything between devices.

I have my own daily blog that I use for keeping track of my activities at the farm. It is private and only accessible by other owners and guests of the farm. Public discussion boards are just that. They are meant for public discussion. It is certainly a shame and a loss to the community when collective wisdom, steel sharpening steel, vanishes. At least QDMA gave us a little warning which is the reason I had time to move many of the threads that were of interest to me over here. While public forums like this are great for publically documenting and sharing, they can't be relied on for personal records. I'm also careful to avoid posting many of the details that are on my private blog that could be useful to trespassers and poachers on a public forum like this.

I will often post things to my personal blog and copy portions to share on a public forum. A blog is only one tool I use for documentation. It is a serial activity log. I also use a database tied to ArcGIS. This allows me to slice and dice data as needed across many years and included geospatial information. Whether it is game camera data, tree planting data, food plot data, harvest data, or whatever, it can all be interrelated with queries when needed to support management decisions.

Thanks,

Jack

I have my own daily blog that I use for keeping track of my activities at the farm. It is private and only accessible by other owners and guests of the farm. Public discussion boards are just that. They are meant for public discussion. It is certainly a shame and a loss to the community when collective wisdom, steel sharpening steel, vanishes. At least QDMA gave us a little warning which is the reason I had time to move many of the threads that were of interest to me over here. While public forums like this are great for publically documenting and sharing, they can't be relied on for personal records. I'm also careful to avoid posting many of the details that are on my private blog that could be useful to trespassers and poachers on a public forum like this.

I will often post things to my personal blog and copy portions to share on a public forum. A blog is only one tool I use for documentation. It is a serial activity log. I also use a database tied to ArcGIS. This allows me to slice and dice data as needed across many years and included geospatial information. Whether it is game camera data, tree planting data, food plot data, harvest data, or whatever, it can all be interrelated with queries when needed to support management decisions.

Thanks,

Jack

Another forum blow up? This makes me chuckle for so many reasons.

It wasn't that funny or entertaining. More of a fizzle than a blowup. Jim got butthurt because of a personal business relationship with a poster that went south, decided to air it out on the forum, and then he took his ball and went home when he didn't receive the sympathy he felt he deserved from everybody. It didn't belong on the forum.

Meh, plenty of places on teh interwebs to talk habitat and troll people who can't take a joke.

I can't speak for anybody but me on info storage. I type all of our ( my camp's ) planting, fertilizer, lime schedule, soil test, fruit tree etc. - information on the desk top, save it to a document file, then print out the pages. I put all that info in a 3-ring binder so I have paper documentation that we can use going forward. I make a copy of everything for a binder to be kept at camp for handy reference.

I wanted us to know - for instance - what apples and crabs do well for us and what rootstocks they are on, what year planted, etc. If I croak tomorrow, someone else should have the info to carry on and learn from what we've done. With a " cabin copy ", no camp member has to bug my wife - or anyone else - for all of our info and records.

I have tried to keep records on the crab apples and apples that I have planted. The rest of the things are just a blurred past.

Which year I planted which clumps of spruce does not really matter any more. I just look at the habitat and try to make it better.

I can't speak for anybody but me on info storage. I type all of our ( my camp's ) planting, fertilizer, lime schedule, soil test, fruit tree etc. - information on the desk top, save it to a document file, then print out the pages. I put all that info in a 3-ring binder so I have paper documentation that we can use going forward. I make a copy of everything for a binder to be kept at camp for handy reference.

I wanted us to know - for instance - what apples and crabs do well for us and what rootstocks they are on, what year planted, etc. If I croak tomorrow, someone else should have the info to carry on and learn from what we've done. With a " cabin copy ", no camp member has to bug my wife - or anyone else - for all of our info and records.

Seems morbid to think about that stuff sometimes but that is a great idea. I am going to do this for both camps I am a part of, I am the guy who orchestrates the food plots and habitat projects. One of the camps is my property and I definitely want some kind of record for my kids to know what we have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.