Putting the 2018 apple grafts to bed - heeling in

cavey

5 year old buck +
Short of taking a few trees when they totally go dormant and planting them... The 2018 batch of grafted apple and crabs are out of the growing racks and heeled in for winter. Their part of the GRIN scions and wild varieties grafted in the spring. Im cutting window screen sections today to protect the trunks and will staple them around the trunks in the next few days when it stops raining. So these are done for this year - fingers crossed till spring. Survival percent has been high with my other heeled in plants over the years.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.JPG
    IMG_3689.JPG
    716.4 KB · Views: 41
Cool!

Are those Tee Pots?

If not,where did you get them?

Auger looks to be perfect size

bill

Are those Tee Pots?

If not,where did you get them?

Auger looks to be perfect size

bill
They are tree pots... Using the auger in the clay ground saved a lot of digging, only problem was that the hole was round and pots are tapered and square but it still went faster than doing it with a shovel. Last years batch that got heeled in were round pots and I hand dug a trench and placed them one right after another and back filled by hand.
A "Pot in pot" system would be an ideal method.. If I get time I will re-pull a couple from the nursery and direct plant them - I would like to check the root development.

Nice looking set-up, Cavey.