All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purple Aster?

scott44

5 year old buck +
I don't remember ever seeing it it here but since starting habitat work I started noticing things that I didn't before. Is this purple aster, New England aster?

euUnCoO.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that's it.

It kind of looks like golden rod before the purple flowers start showing, any wildlife value other than an attractant for bees?

0iAW4Gj.jpg

It kind of looks like golden rod before the purple flowers start showing, any wildlife value other than an attractant for bees?

0iAW4Gj.jpg

Yes, many other insects use the plant. Turkey will eat the seed and leaves. Rabbits and deer will browse the plant to some extent. I would call it a medium browse preference plant for deer but not high. However, you know how that varies by areas of the country.

Yes, many other insects use the plant. Turkey will eat the seed and leaves. Rabbits and deer will browse the plant to some extent. I would call it a medium browse preference plant for deer but not high. However, you know how that varies by areas of the country.
Thanks!

5832263021dbbd017c973564ec575767.jpg

Noticed this Aster while moving a camera today, and had another admirer show up while fishing my phone out for a pic! Seems like a great late summer/early fall pollinator resource, as most others have faded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5832263021dbbd017c973564ec575767.jpg

Noticed this Aster while moving a camera today, and had another admirer show up while fishing my phone out for a pic! Seems like a great late summer/early fall pollinator resource, as most others have faded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The day I snapped my pics there where bees all over the asters and goldenrod.