PTT

We had some red coloration in our brassica plot this fall, even though it grew like crazy. ( 2 ft. tall + ) I'll get some soil tests done and look to add some sulfur. What's the best way to buy it ?? ( no farmer for sure !! )

We had some red coloration in our brassica plot this fall, even though it grew like crazy. ( 2 ft. tall + ) I'll get some soil tests done and look to add some sulfur. What's the best way to buy it ?? ( no farmer for sure !! )

50lb bags at your local coop is the easiest.

So I'm one of the guys who grow great brassicas... that the deer hardly touch. I've had the most use from deer eating radish tops, very little use of the tubers. They will eat them late winter but it certainly isn't a huge draw.

Here is last yrs soil sample. What do you guys think? Am I low on something that makes them not desirable? Am I high on something that makes them not desirable? Do I just have better stuff available elsewhere?

How would you amend this soil?

7f48d46c2eedd629474a35bc12da73f2.jpg

279946a84d5d7e4e7dfa91fcb80507b5.jpg

826ff0ae921c2070606da5bb615abc8f.jpg

1c25af63e286ee91c8d1544a66c8531e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Catscratch, your soil looks like it's pretty darn good. Perfect example of why I don't think the lack of a nutrient or nutrients has much to do with most people who grow beautiful brassicas but find that the deer don't use them. It seems that the majority of those experiencing this are growing brassicas in damn good soil.

Wow Catscratch, I have only seen OM that high in peat ground here. Looks like all you need is some Gyp-sol and some potash and you are good to go.

One of the best tests I have seen in a while if not ever. You have such good soil, I better everything tastes good to the deer! LOL

Wow Catscratch, I have only seen OM that high in peat ground here. Looks like all you need is some Gyp-sol and some potash and you are good to go.

One of the best tests I have seen in a while if not ever. You have such good soil, I better everything tastes good to the deer! LOL
That's kind of what I was thinking after Bueller's post. Maybe everything tastes good and brassica's take a back seat to natives and other ag type plots when the soil is good.
Just a little about that soil; it was long term native grass/pasture when i got it and it's now throw-n-mow plots. It started great and I continue to rotate crops with organic matter as a big priority. Samples were taken no less than 6in deep.

Ditto the nice soil test. What soil type is it?

My deer enjoy brassicas very much. And we have big ag all around - corn, beans, wheat, & hay. Generally speaking they go for the turnip bulbs last, but some still get scarfed early on. A couple Decembers ago, I watched a 2.5 year old buck pick up half frozen turnipsicles, flip his head to "peel" the skin off with his teeth, eat the skin, then walk over to where the flesh landed and eat that. He did that to probably a dozen or so.

My deer enjoy brassicas very much. And we have big ag all around - corn, beans, wheat, & hay. Generally speaking they go for the turnip bulbs last, but some still get scarfed early on. A couple Decembers ago, I watched a 2.5 year old buck pick up half frozen turnipsicles, flip his head to "peel" the skin off with his teeth, eat the skin, then walk over to where the flesh landed and eat that. He did that to probably a dozen or so.
Cool to watch deer do stuff like that. Sometimes they are suprising when they do certain things, almost like they are thinking it through.

I don't know what kind of soil it is. I would guess a clay loam? Low spots hold water very well (so well that we have different plant communities in the bogs). Lots of rock in it and under it. Solid bedrock anywhere from the surface to 4ft down.
It grows well though. Here is one of this fall's brassica's that is still uneaten:
d619f9304d1c123896dfc4f612fddb82.jpg

Cool to watch deer do stuff like that. Sometimes they are suprising when they do certain things, almost like they are thinking it through.

I don't know what kind of soil it is. I would guess a clay loam? Low spots hold water very well (so well that we have different plant communities in the bogs). Lots of rock in it and under it. Solid bedrock anywhere from the surface to 4ft down.
It grows well though. Here is one of this fall's brassica's that is still uneaten:

Catscratch, cook that stuff!!!!

You are really missing out if you don't!!!!

bill

Catscratch, cook that stuff!!!!

You are really missing out if you don't!!!!

bill
I need to but haven't yet. I do eat a leaf occasionally while checking the plots out.
What's your favorite recipe, I might try it over the weekend?

The turnips have remained untouched but the radishes are getting hammered.

Attachments

• 20161230_145841.jpg
    20161230_145841.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 19
I quit planting PTT after 3-4 years of little use and planted daikon radish and they hammered them last year but it hasn't been as cold this year.They have eaten them but not as hard late season.They did eat alot of the tops early