All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Protecting trees. Cage dimensions, etc.

Tele - look no further than the man that started this place.

bigrocktrees.com

Each guy has their own situation. If you don't have many deer, you might be able to get away with tighter cages if browsing isn't a big problem. But a few deer can eat a lot !! We use 4' dia. cages and have had some branch tips chewed, but it hasn't hurt the trees. As they grow taller, we prune the lowest limbs off so the lowest scaffolds are 5 ft. above the ground - or higher. We have a fair number of deer and this method has kept our apples & crabs 95% free of deer nipping.

Aluminum window screen height depends on how deep your snow typically gets. I use 32" wide screen (off the roll) and cut pieces 18" long, so when I fold it in half around the trunk to staple it, I have 9" on both sides. Then I just staple it shut and have a sleeve 32" high X 9" wide, with "slop" room inside to allow for trunk growth. This gives us protection if the snow gets 30" deep or so. As others have said, we also pile crushed stone around the base of the screen about 4" deep so mice/voles don't want to tunnel through that to get inside the screen.

I get what you guys are saying about wrapping the cage & window screen.

Wrapping the cage is 1-2 years down the road and will have no issue if your diameter is 5-6'. Window screen ... every pic I see here posted looks flimsy and attached to the trunk ... no room for growth.

Th e OP has to determine their availability to be present? If you don's live onsite and can check/adjust every day, do the most expensive thing that assures while you are gone that critters don't win!

One mouse can girdle & destroy 8-10 trees over 5-6 weeks .... good luck and welcome to the insanity :emoji_astonished:

Tele - look no further than the man that started this place.

bigrocktrees.com

That is where I got mine. Good stuff, competitive price, reasonable shipping.

I would add steel 1/4" wire mesh around the base. Cut 24" about 20" long. At one end cut 2" x 2" tabs and bend out ward. Wrap this arund base of trunk and cover with gravel (white marble or other non leaching type. Protects against mice and other rodents eating the bark under the snow.
This is sound advice provided you don't have problems with bores. The 1/4" wire mesh you speak of is just large enough for egg laying insects that produce bores to get through . I initially had some bore problems back 20 years ago using a similar material that you speak of. After switching to Al screening, there has been no bore issues.

This is sound advice provided you don't have problems with bores. The 1/4" wire mesh you speak of is just large enough for egg laying insects that produce bores to get through . I initially had some bore problems back 20 years ago using a similar material that you speak of. After switching to Al screening, there has been no bore issues.

Appleman ... thanks for the heads up. I have not seen any evidence of the bores. What should I look for? Is any type of spraying helpful?

Spud - The way I do our aluminum window screens is the same way someone posted a few years ago. It leaves lots of room for growth. They may need to be replaced in 8 to 10 years, to make them bigger for larger tree trunks, but that method has proven to be 100% reliable for keeping mice/voles and borers out.

I can't remember who posted the pix of their screening method, but it was easy to see and understand. It' simple and effective. I'll try to look back through the fruit tree threads and find it. It may be in the sticky ??

^^^^ I looked back through and found Appleman's picture and advice on aluminum screen for protection. It's on page 19 of this fruit tree category. Scroll down to a post by Keystonepaul that says " tree protectors?? " which was posted April 26, 2017. Check it out.

I get what you guys are saying about wrapping the cage & window screen.

Wrapping the cage is 1-2 years down the road and will have no issue if your diameter is 5-6'. Window screen ... every pic I see here posted looks flimsy and attached to the trunk ... no room for growth.

Th e OP has to determine their availability to be present? If you don's live onsite and can check/adjust every day, do the most expensive thing that assures while you are gone that critters don't win!

One mouse can girdle & destroy 8-10 trees over 5-6 weeks .... good luck and welcome to the insanity :emoji_astonished:
One thing that I would like to clarify using Aluminum screening to protect from bores and voles. When installed properly the staples produce a tight barrier or envelop around the base of the tree and require no maintenance for 4 to 6 years. As the trees grow the inner staples will open up and will continue to hold the screening firmly in place until the circumference has grown to the outer most staples used. There is absolutely no way bores or voles can get to the protected trunk cambium with proper installation. I have not lost a single tree (400 trees) using this method to voles and bores. IMG_1929.JPG

Anyone ever use snow fence instead of wire for cages?
Shade would maybe keep down weeds while maintaining moisture. And could prevent sun scald. Best of all is its easily found for free about the same time of year as planting.
I'll probably stick to tubes on most as they work well for me, but a backup plan is always a good idea