Protecting Apple Trees from herbicide

Correct. I regualarly spray Gly around the base of my trees and have been doing it for years with no ill effects. I don't try to spray the trunks of the trees but if I happen to get some on the trunk (which I usually do) I don't worry about it. Truthfully, while I don't recommend it, I have even sprayed suckers that grew up around the trunk with no ill effects. Normally, I trim them off with clippers but I have at times just sprayed 1 or 2 of them, again with no ill effects.

View attachment 53079
I seriously injured one young tree with roundup on the bark. It may not bother older trees but can be absorbed through the bark of young trees. It was just drift that hit it.

My two cents.

I seriously injured one young tree with roundup on the bark. It may not bother older trees but can be absorbed through the bark of young trees. It was just drift that hit it.

My two cents.

Hard for me to imagine a little "drift" causing any issues even for young trees. I have literally wetted the trunks of all sized trees and never experienced any damage. Maybe I've been lucky. Of course, it is best to not apply any if you don't have to.