Project "The Gap"

TTT

Bumping this up, hoping for a progress report. Looks like a fun project.

Fun digging deep into the archives, find some neat stuff.

TTT

Bumping this up, hoping for a progress report. Looks like a fun project.

Fun digging deep into the archives, find some neat stuff.

I was just reading this from the beginning and was disappointed when I just got to the end and saw no update. 4 years with no update, must not have worked very well....

I’m curious as to what it turned into as well. I am considering doing some hybrid willow from big rock as a screen...would be nice to see those results

I was just reading this from the beginning and was disappointed when I just got to the end and saw no update. 4 years with no update, must not have worked very well....

yeah ... John probably had a learning curve with cuttings ... hopefully he figures it out ... :emoji_astonished:

Well thats @John-W-WI right, big rock trees, I wouldn't think someone that does that for a living would have a 'flop'.

Oh, don't worry. I flopped all right.

The hybrids grew well, the shrubs got eaten in the first month.

The hybrids never got over about 4' tall. The deer munched them down to nothing every year (including the winter months).

I literally just pulled this 'screen' out about a month ago. Most of the hybrids were still growing but had a million branches and no height.

I did end up planting the 1200' screen in another location that same season (not sure if I posted it here or not). I used mostly 6' hybrids (popple and willow). They were rubbed to death. That screen is still there, but they too are 4' tall and don't do much screening. :emoji_unamused:

A couple seasons ago I added a different willow to the 1200' screen just to give them a try. I'll have to get a picture of them soon. They are doing really well and for reasons I can't exactly explain the deer don't seem to touch them. I've tried over a dozen different willows for screens and the deer liked them all. Except this one.

I'll get a picture tonight if I have time and post it here.

Thanks,

-John

It's nice to see that the fruit tree guys aren't the only ones that have to fence EVERYTHING or the stinkin critters we like so much will eat it all before we want them to.

Thx for the update John.
Alot of work involved im sure, but you won't know if you don't try.

Between the insects, rabbits an deer. Its looking like I might have to do something more to protect my screen. It's growing, but being kept in check so far.

John - Hopefully those willows make it for you. They sound promising so far.

BV is exactly right above. ^^^^^ If it weren't for caging trees & shrubs, we wouldn't have anything left. Caging 1200 ft. …………...…… now that's a project !!!