Possible new MN muzzleloader record!

Nice to see an "older" hunter get him. Looks like a few people got buck fever on that one.

Geez that is a big one!!!

What town was that by?

APR's baby!!!

Sounds like it may have spent some time in Whitewater state park. Its good to see those few grazings it got didn't end up in a wasted deer.

That area of public is going to see some additional pressure now.

I meant going from one hunter per 20acres to 10. But seriously I've been there and it's not always real packed. I think the terrain keeps some away.

Nice buck, glad an older fella got him. APRs, bring them to Ottertail County.

Yeah the previous record was shot a few miles from where I hunt. I believe back in 2005 but don't hold me to that...

Great buck and nice to see they have some history with the deer. Makes it even more special.

I too would like to see APR in Ottertail County however also a little torn since it is not the best at promoting good genetics. Tough to get deer in the 200 inch range without good genetics.

I dont think genetics are a problem in OTC.... Boone an Crocket entries are near the top in the state if I recall correctly.

Our problem is the deer dont get to old age in so many cases, so we dont get to see true potential....

I have a buck on cam that lived through gun season thats approaching 180 inches.... buzzard doesnt know how to walk during the day.

The buck was shot between Elba and Altura near the Crystal Springs Hatchery. The hunting pressure on the public land there is extremely intense - the highway between Elba and Altura looks like a wal-mart parking lot during the gun seasons. The squirrel hunting pressure is also extreme in this area, so this buck must have found a thick, nasty hideout.

That area is a couple miles from the state park, so I'm not sure if the park helped this specific deer or not. There are so many different hunts in the park now anyway that it is practically a useless refuge most of the time.

I dont think genetics are a problem in OTC.... Boone an Crocket entries are near the top in the state if I recall correctly.

Our problem is the deer dont get to old age in so many cases, so we dont get to see true potential....

I have a buck on cam that lived through gun season thats approaching 180 inches.... buzzard doesnt know how to walk during the day.
I agree completely OTC has the genetics. I was just trying to say a lot of deer do not have the potential to make 200+ inches even if they reach maturity. I 100% agree we need more age on our bucks.

That's a dandy for sure.

What is up with the APR comments, or is that just tongue in cheek? This buck likely hadn't been protected by the APRs for at least a couple years, and nearly one more. SE Minnesota has always produced monsters, well before APRs were put in place. Rolling terrain and milder climate have always been the biggest difference makers in SE Minnesota vs the rest of the state.

I just read a D and DH article where a Texas manager you need lots o healthy buck fawns to get trophy bucks. He says lots of them because many do not have the potential and high numbers will give better chances of a few reaching trophy size.

Low doe numbers, and you get few fawns. Does not look good for most of our state.
Remember, APR's shift hunting pressure to the does.
I surely don't need more hunting pressure on the does around my place, if there is even one left.

When I look at the number of big bucks coming out of WI...I try to come up with the differences between two neighboring states. WI has no APR zone, MN has a tiny area of the state with APRs. WI winters are similar to MN winters for much of each state. Growing seasons/frost free days are similar. Rainfalls aren't much different. Each state has a variety of soil types. Why does WI produce far more large antlered bucks?

My answer is simple...the WI herd is much larger. More deer...more chances that more bucks live long enough to become large antlered males.

I would say gun season two weeks later helps!!

If you moved Wisconsin gun season to Nov 7.... That state would slip

Well, that's certainly a possibility. However, look back at when MN used to be cranking out numbers of big bucks on par with WI. Season was still in early November. What was different? MN's deer herd was muchhhhh larger.

When MN led the nation in high scoring bucks we had a 2 day gun season.

Then it went to 2 day option and a 4 day option. You were able to choose one or the other. At that time there was no muzzy season at all in most of MN...(except in designated areas)

Few bow hunters were out as well.

When MN led the nation in high scoring bucks we had a 2 day gun season.

Then it went to 2 day option and a 4 day option. You were able to choose one or the other. At that time there was no muzzy season at all in most of MN...(except in designated areas)

Few bow hunters were out as well.
That's what you need. When you start getting bucks in every age class from fawn to 5.5 plus, you will naturally have more bucks. The one or two year and done will make it nearly impossible for a buck to mature, and you will have less bucks.