$$$$poplar saw logs/bolts$$$$

D

dipper

the highest price I've seen $140 a cord for upland high grade poplar logs. Dipper is gonna have the chainsaw rolling this December. I've been holding out on my prime poplar, because the price has been so bad. It's up and I'm selling baby.
With the fresh cut popple comes prime habitat. My over population improving, could be some better years ahead. The extra revenue will be the trip to Hawaii for the misses.
The price of an unlimited hunting pass has its cost.

In the winter of 2012-13 I got between 100 & 120 for hardwood bolts, mostly basswood & maple.

At one time they were staining popple and calling it some sort of fake walnut for decorative purposes.

New term to me - what's a " bolt "? And popple is what you guys call aspen, right? Or is it actually yellow poplar?

It don't matter what it is right now dip. I just saw green cut and split poplar firewood for $180 a cord in our local paper. Since the snow was to deep last year, no one cut any firewood. So it will be high priced this year!

There are very few if any suckers dumb enough to pay that price for popple. Aka-aspen, this far north. I wish I knew people like that at least. I can't even get that price for seasoned oak.
You probably never heard of a bolt because there isn't a market in your area. bolt is basically another term for an aspen log. You can't compare what you got for maple to what you can get for popple. It is comparing an apple to an orange.
5 years ago I could hardly get $50/ cord off the landing. This price has never been seen before. I've got some beautiful stuff, I've been sitting on, and I'm selling direct to a mill.
I started this thread as a courtesy to anyone who has nice popple and isn't tied to a mfl or similar contract.

There are very few if any suckers dumb enough to pay that price for popple. Aka-aspen, this far north. I wish I knew people like that at least. I can't even get that price for seasoned oak.
You probably never heard of a bolt because there isn't a market in your area. bolt is basically another term for an aspen log. You can't compare what you got for maple to what you can get for popple. It is comparing an apple to an orange.
5 years ago I could hardly get $50/ cord off the landing. This price has never been seen before. I've got some beautiful stuff, I've been sitting on, and I'm selling direct to a mill.
I started this thread as a courtesy to anyone who has nice popple and isn't tied to a mfl or similar contract.
Hey Dipper thanks for the heads up. I would consider do some logging. Which mill are you dealing with?

:rolleyes:When someone sells something they have to report it as income. I'm not selling a thing.
There just happens to be someone in Amherst junction that has a saw rig. He wants a couple semis a month to "play" with after his 7-3 job. I can get you a phone number if you like.
The nice thing about being self sustainable and not relying on anyone-you can pay cash for a trip to Hawaii. maybe even enough to cover a good chunk of ownership of a certain 20 acres of land locked land I happen to border$$$$

Thanks Dipper for the info on popple / aspen and what a bolt is.

:rolleyes:When someone sells something they have to report it as income. I'm not selling a thing.
There just happens to be someone in Amherst junction that has a saw rig. He wants a couple semis a month to "play" with after his 7-3 job. I can get you a phone number if you like.
The nice thing about being self sustainable and not relying on anyone-you can pay cash for a trip to Hawaii. maybe even enough to cover a good chunk of ownership of a certain 20 acres of land locked land I happen to border$$$$
I figured it out on who it is. Thanks again

U could talk to your neighbor too. I can't remember his first name, his last name is karch. He is just south of northland on that county road that leads to Peru from 49. He's on the north side of the road, what is that, a 40 into Waupaca clunty. I'm pretty sure he still has a lumber sign up. He's getting pretty old but he might want to buy some.

Anyone know what a mature aspen block would be worth on a per acre basis??

Approx? I have 15 acres in Kittson County MN that is a nice block of mature trees?
Might need to log it for habitat

Anyone know what a mature aspen block would be worth on a per acre basis??

Approx? I have 15 acres in Kittson County MN that is a nice block of mature trees?
Might need to log it for habitat

Many counties list timber auction results on their websites. Didn't see anything for Kittson but here is Beltrami and Clearwater. If you look at the winning bidders you may be able to figure out some people to contact. If you Google other county names and timber sale you may find more results.

http://www.co.beltrami.mn.us/Departments/NRM/Timber_Mgmt.html
http://www.co.clearwater.mn.us/TimberSales

A couple years ago my brother was hauling red pine bolts to a mill in Bemidji from our area, so 2.5 hours one way. Not sure who was buying though.

Depends on what the logs actually are. Any low land poplar is junk, there is a dark coloring in the wood. Popple gets too mature as well. Too mature means hollow and it's junk. If the tree had a bacterial infection, the grade will be effected. Knots, straightness, all factors.
If you don't know the game hire a forester or educate yourself.

Looks like the average is around $400 an acre...Ok thanks guys. If I get $400 an acre that will pay for a couple nice tower blinds

U could talk to your neighbor too. I can't remember his first name, his last name is karch. He is just south of northland on that county road that leads to Peru from 49. He's on the north side of the road, what is that, a 40 into Waupaca clunty. I'm pretty sure he still has a lumber sign up. He's getting pretty old but he might want to buy some.

I was quoted $250 an acre in Ottertail county.
I dont really care about the money. I need habitat improvement.....

I havent committed yet but need to get moving sooner than later.

this week, I heard that some loggers are chipping all parts of the tree and selling the chips to power generators.
Just something to keep in mind if you wan trash or organic matter on the ground after logging.
Some old timers in northern Mn. told me you can only get 2 popple crops off of the land and then something is lacking in the soil. Chipping all tops might remove more nutrients??? Opinions???
I got to say that the guys that told me this seem to know everything, but actually do nothing, if you know the type.

The Aspen is hitting the ground! Market conditions & time of year have created the perfect combination for a timber harvest. We could use some colder weather to firm things up again. And it sounds like Mother Nature is going to help out in that department. I'm in the process of patch clear cutting 10-12 acres of highland popple and thinning some mixed hardwoods this year. Prime bedding areas are a premium when it comes to holding mature bucks.