$$$$poplar saw logs/bolts$$$$

There are very few if any suckers dumb enough to pay that price for popple. Aka-aspen, this far north. I wish I knew people like that at least.

I was thinking the same thing. People actually pay $180 a cord for poplar firewood?

I was thinking the same thing. People actually pay $180 a cord for poplar firewood?

Yes they will!

Oak around here is still either side of $300 a cord right now.

T
Yes they will!

That's crazy MBC! Around here, poplar is considered a junk wood. About like burning rolled up newspapers for heat. It's funny how different things can be across the country. That same $180 in western Mass. will get me a full cord of beech, oak, sugar maple, black cherry, and ash. I literally can't give poplar away.

T

That's crazy MBC! Around here, poplar is considered a junk wood. About like burning rolled up newspapers for heat. It's funny how different things can be across the country. That same $180 in western Mass. will get me a full cord of beech, oak, sugar maple, black cherry, and ash. I literally can't give poplar away.

Green Poplar burns good in outdoor wood stoves. Cut and leave sit for a month or 2 and burn away!

And when Oak gets high priced they sell other wood real easy around here!

Seems like it was a lifetime ago.....but I used to manufacture wood burning central furnaces. One thing I learned.....was that you could quickly judge the BTU content of dry wood by the weight of the logs. Heavy weights = high BTU. Popple here is pretty good when it's reasonably "fresh".....but it also decays quickly. Interesting wood that popple.

It's been keeping my place warm since fall. It gives heat, just need more of it when it gets 15. Its perfect for 20s and up. I've burnt it all winter some years. I dry mine all summer and it still gives good heat.

this week, I heard that some loggers are chipping all parts of the tree and selling the chips to power generators.

Get your money upfront or escrowed on these deals in central MN. Due diligence. Shady.

It's been keeping my place warm since fall. It gives heat, just need more of it when it gets 15. Its perfect for 20s and up. I've burnt it all winter some years. I dry mine all summer and it still gives good heat.

No doubt about it. A pound of poplar and a pound of oak have similar BTU ratings. It burns hot! I use it in my evaporator if I have some some that came down around the yard. But as you say…to heat a home you would need twice as much of it as oak. That's twice as much space, twice as much logging, and twice as much labor to get it out of the woods.

Dipper, around here a harry homeowner logger would need a contract to sell pulp. Where are you selling your wood at if I can ask?

If someone is selling seasoned poplar at $180 per cord and seasoned white oak for $300 per cord, the oak is a slightly better buy (although I wouldn't pay that for either one). Oak is twice as much weight (pounds per dry cord) and far more BTU per cord than poplar.

Yes they will!

Holy Smokes! I would be a wood splitting fool if it brought that around here!

Holy Smokes! I would be a wood splitting fool if it brought that around here!

Since there was so much snow here last year, not a lot of quality firewood was made for this year. Hence the reason it got high priced.

Anyone can gather firewood in Missouri.....ain't no snow!

I sold firewood in the dark ages to pay for college.

Some people do not want oak for heat if they have a fireplace. Birch sold well for me and people could light a fire for an evening and keep busy tending the fire with other activities. For many of them, the heat content was not a big part of it, but the fireplace is just like a campfire. It;s a social thing, or focal point for the evening. Not for heat.

I sold firewood in the dark ages to pay for college.

Some people do not want oak for heat if they have a fireplace. Birch sold well for me and people could light a fire for an evening and keep busy tending the fire with other activities. For many of them, the heat content was not a big part of it, but the fireplace is just like a campfire. It;s a social thing, or focal point for the evening. Not for heat.

YEP.....NOW YOU GOT THE 3 OR 4 HOUR PARAFIN MANUFACTURED FIREPLACE LOGS FOR THAT PURPOSE. They really do work nice too. ;)

I'm gearing up to sell aspen for campfire wood for that exact reason. It burns hot, minimal ash, lights easy, and is gone in about 4hrs.

Jim-watch the laws for selling firewood beyond the local area-emerald ash borer concerns

I'm just selling it locally to start. Honor box with a CCTV cam to catch thieves. :)

If that goes well, then I might try expanding my market, but once I start milling wood I'll generate more scrap than I can burn or care to store.

Dipper, around here a harry homeowner logger would need a contract to sell pulp. Where are you selling your wood at if I can ask?
I sell my pulp to paper mill. I could also sell to a bio mass plant and wood bedding factory. Saw logs to anyone who will pay the right price.