All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor mn

D

dipper

was a hell of a dual meet, but iowa came out ahead. Some real good wrestling! Poor mn just can't catch a break in anything.

Ugh. That was a very frustrating dual. Glad I didn't make the trip down.

We will see who ends with the most national champs. Ness is still awesome.

Ness is great but looked off tonight. I think he might have been sick as the rumors earlier this afternoon were he might not wrestle. Glad he pulled it out but that was probably his worst match this year.

Everything is better in Wisconsin!

Ness is great but looked off tonight. I think he might have been sick as the rumors earlier this afternoon were he might not wrestle. Glad he pulled it out but that was probably his worst match this year.
Ness looked slow, he should have lost that match. That iowa kid got shafted on a couple takedown calls. Ness's unorthodox talent was able to save him too. It was still an exciting match.
Both iowa and mn would crush the Badgers.

A sneak peak for you Vikings Fans! My son who has been working on the new Vikes stadium almost 7 days a week, sent me this this morning!

View attachment 3846
I foresee a lot of misery inside those walls. Haha where does mn play their high school championships? Cause those are the only possible titles. Haha

Gophers have 7 nt in football , badgers-0 and they own college hockey.

I'd add that they also own HS wrestling, at least when paired up against WI. I hated wrestling tourneys with MN teams back in HS. A JV team from MN won the varsity tourney Appleton West put on both years my oldest was wrestling for West...I mean, not even close, and these were their JVers. I'd have hated to see what a blood bath it would have been if they'd sent their varsity either of those years.

I was hoping the gophers could have kept it closer last night, as well. It was still fun to watch, though. For just a 2 team match, that was still some dang good wrestling.

Yeah, all teams are never created equal and when teams are fighting just to fill weight classes, it can get real fugly. I was just blown away 5-6 yrs ago watching that tourney both years. There were a bunch of good WI teams involved, including Kaukauna, which is traditionally one of the best teams in the state (and they sure were during that stretch). At least 80% of the championship matches both years was a Kaukauna wrestler vrs the MN JV wrestler (can't remember the town they were from, but it MAY have been Apple Valley....sounds familiar, at least). The 20ish% that weren't, was a different WI school wrestler vrs a MN JVer. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the JV team won every single 1st place match both years, and most weren't even close matches. It was impressive, to say the least...left me wondering if it would have been any different if they'd put together an all freshmen team or how sick it'd have been if they'd sent their varsity.

P.S. I suspect that the trend you are seeing with the decline in MN is pretty much happening everywhere. Wrestling has never really been the flash/"cool" sport that FB or Basketball is and just is soooooooo physically demanding that I suspect it is slowly dying as each grade of kids have grown more and more accustom to a softer lifestyle.

Last edited:
Mn wrestling at the high scool level has been in decline for close to a decade in regards to depth. There are still a lot of good individuals but not what it once was with guys like Eustis, Nagel, and LeVessuer all graduating the same year. Even when you look back to the 90s with Forest Lake and Hastings being dominant not to mention schools like Painesville. Valley will always be good but it requires depth and balance to maintain strong state wide wrestling. The east coast is where a lot of good wrestlers come out of now because of their clubs and private school systems. Wrestling is too hard for most to handle so they go play basketball.

I became a wrestler.....cause I couldn't shoot hoops worth spit. Wrestling is hard work. Lostsa pain to get the gain.

Wrestling is too hard for most to handle so they go play basketball.
My best friend in HS played basketball. Wrestling practice was in the upper level of the gym (where they rolled out bleachers for BB games) while BB practice was on the main floor. Anytime my buddy would complain about a "hard" practice, I would belittle him mercilessly. At one time or another, I played every major sport (baseball, basketball, football, wrestling, track, hockey...NOT saying I was any good at some of them). The hardest practice in any of those sports never remotely compared to the easiest wrestling practice.

I pity the kids really into wrestling these days. It's somehow become a nearly every day, year round commitment, if you want to really excel. I guess it's the same in most any sport, but I remember when you did this stuff because it was fun, not because you had to. Heck, I'd wrestle a handful of freestyle tourneys during the off season and that was considered hardcore back in my time. Now, it's JRob and other camps all summer long, if you even want a legit chance of going to state, and even that isn't enough for most kids.

Mn wrestling at the high scool level has been in decline for close to a decade in regards to depth. There are still a lot of good individuals but not what it once was with guys like Eustis, Nagel, and LeVessuer all graduating the same year. Even when you look back to the 90s with Forest Lake and Hastings being dominant not to mention schools like Painesville. Valley will always be good but it requires depth and balance to maintain strong state wide wrestling. The east coast is where a lot of good wrestlers come out of now because of their clubs and private school systems. Wrestling is too hard for most to handle so they go play basketball.

I had a good friend from a different school that was in wrestling and made it to state, and he always gave me shit about basketball. Of course, I could smoke him at basketball and he could smoke me at wrestling with neither of us having the skills for the other sport . We decided that long distance running and chin-ups would be a good tie breaker. I beat him at both, but he was especially surprised when I beat him at chin-ups (by 2) since I was 35 lbs heavier than him :D.

My best friend in HS played basketball. Wrestling practice was in the upper level of the gym (where they rolled out bleachers for BB games) while BB practice was on the main floor. Anytime my buddy would complain about a "hard" practice, I would belittle him mercilessly. At one time or another, I played every major sport (baseball, basketball, football, wrestling, track, hockey...NOT saying I was any good at some of them). The hardest practice in any of those sports never remotely compared to the easiest wrestling practice.

I pity the kids really into wrestling these days. It's somehow become a nearly every day, year round commitment, if you want to really excel. I guess it's the same in most any sport, but I remember when you did this stuff because it was fun, not because you had to. Heck, I'd wrestle a handful of freestyle tourneys during the off season and that was considered hardcore back in my time. Now, it's JRob and other camps all summer long, if you even want a legit chance of going to state, and even that isn't enough for most kids.
Yup. I went to a HS with a class of 150 and played baseball, football, and basketball. Now my kids go to a school with a class of 1k and at the age of 8 we were told pick your favorite sport play it 365, do all the camps and travel and maybe you will make the high school team.

My brother and I played sports back when you do several a year for fun. Both my boys quit sports by the time they got to high school. Both got jobs on farms after school and on weekends and dedicated their free time to hunting and fishing. Gotta say, they graduated with a work ethic and a lifetime passion.