Plum

bwoods11

5 year old buck +
Plum 2014.jpg Plum 2014.jpg Here are some pictures of my plum trees planted about 10 years ago in West Central Minnesota.

We have thousands planted in tree rows (buffers/blocks) as part of the generous CRP plans of early 2000.

Great survival and now producing a lot of plums.

Wildlife friendly tree, but yet to see a ton of use by deer, but I'd still highly recommend American Plum!!

Attachments

• plum 2.jpg
    plum 2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 16
I'm not the best with pictures, so sorry for duplicates....anyway if anyone needs plums I have them

i am hoping they are still holding on the trees so I can pick some this weekend up in OTC.

We have a few clumps that have been there for oodles of years. Big tangled mess of trees. Makes for some fun picking. :)

Have you ever put a camera on your plum trees? I wonder if because you have so many, that maybe you can't see the deer consumption?

Have you ever put a camera on your plum trees? I wonder if because you have so many, that maybe you can't see the deer consumption?

I know they eat them. Probably correct so many trees to choose. Right now deer numbers are kinda low in that area. Someday it will be one if the top farms in that township!

Those plums are like candy, and they spread like a weed. Bear ripped down my fence to get them one time.

View attachment 2061 View attachment 2061 Here are some pictures of my plum trees planted about 10 years ago in West Central Minnesota.

We have thousands planted in tree rows (buffers/blocks) as part of the generous CRP plans of early 2000.

Wildlife friendly tree, but yet to see a ton of use by deer, but I'd still highly recommend American Plum!!
I gotta ask, with quantities like that, what else did you plant? Or was it all plum? I put in a half dozen last year and I had bear destroy the tubes on all six trees. What was interesting is that they didn't do anything to the tree once they destroyed the tube. Maybe it was just curiosity. I was able to replace the tubes in time and all six are doing fine today. I do have to take the tubes off this fall after season and prune everything. I don't want this batch to get all bound up in the tubes.

I have several hundred American Plums on my property and they were put in as part of a NRCS program. The deer on my property heavily browse my American plums. Deer prefer the new growth and that fits American Plum as they sucker allot. I give them high marks for both being attractive to deer and hardy. This is one shrub I would try a huge quantity and then just use deer repellent to keep the deer browse under control. After two years the roots of the plum will be developed and then they are impossible to kill.

I'm very impressed, hardwood. Today, a client told me they make great jelly.

I can remember one small buck eating at a plum thicket by my house in zone 2. Up in zone 1, the plums are heavily hit by the deer.

Of course, one year we saw on small buck on my zone 2 farm during deer season. that was all we saw. Period.

I gotta ask, with quantities like that, what else did you plant? Or was it all plum? I put in a half dozen last year and I had bear destroy the tubes on all six trees. What was interesting is that they didn't do anything to the tree once they destroyed the tube. Maybe it was just curiosity. I was able to replace the tubes in time and all six are doing fine today. I do have to take the tubes off this fall after season and prune everything. I don't want this batch to get all bound up in the tubes.
We did rows as part of CRP. Spruce/pine/cedar/plum/chokecherry.

Also mixed in bur oak, lilac, caragana, SWO, aspen, choke berry
45,000 trees total

View attachment 2061 View attachment 2061 Here are some pictures of my plum trees planted about 10 years ago in West Central Minnesota.

Over the last couple years I have planted maybe 30 American plum seadlings so it it great to see what they turn into, thanks. I also used them in a row of screening with shrubs and spruce.

Plums have all dropped up here. No jelly for me.

We did rows as part of CRP. Spruce/pine/cedar/plum/chokecherry.

Also mixed in bur oak, lilac, caragana, SWO, aspen, choke berry
45,000 trees total

wow, 45k. that's insane. I must ask, how are those planted bur oaks looking?

How did the swo do and were they planted in Minnesota?

To answer both questions my oaks have had mixed results. I have some bur oaks doing very well, planted as an oak savanna plan. The closer I plan to a water source the better (on sandy soil) creeks/drainage/low spots. Now on another farm, which has good black dirt, the bur and red oaks are doing very well.

As far as Swamp White Oak, mixed results. I have maybe a dozen survivors, out of maybe 50? However, if I can get those 12 to make it, I'll be really satisfied, as I feel this is the best overall oak species due to the amount of acorns they drop.

NWMN...FYI I did not do all the tree plantings myself, the old CRP plan pretty much paid every dollar (90%) for the trees plus tree fabric. That has changed now and out of pocket cost has crept up. I did 5.6 acres of riparian buffer in Kittson County this year and the cost share (my cost) was almost as high as doing 60 acres back in 2003.

Sorry Sandbur, my Swamp White Oak are planted in West Central MN.

They grow kind of slow here in MN, in Iowa SWO grows fast

Thats a lot of plums!