Plots for Turkey

DRG3

5 year old buck +
Looking for some thoughts on Plot planting for Turkey as I lay out my plans and rotations for next year. Can Chufa be planted in the fall and be up and useable by the following spring

Thanks in Advance

I dont know about chufa - I have hogs on my place and impossible to grow. My turkeys like wheat shoots and wheat seed. They also like clover. I plant a combination of wheat and a perennial white clover. I dont like rye because it gets so tall my turkeys quit using the plot. I also like a lower growing clover. Browntop millet makes a great summer annual crop for hens with broods - for both the seed and a great bugging area.

I dont know about chufa - I have hogs on my place and impossible to grow. My turkeys like wheat shoots and wheat seed. They also like clover. I plant a combination of wheat and a perennial white clover. I dont like rye because it gets so tall my turkeys quit using the plot. I also like a lower growing clover. Browntop millet makes a great summer annual crop for hens with broods - for both the seed and a great bugging area.
Thanks. That's some great points on the millet. Ive used that to nurse CRP as well and it grows good for me.
I will have clover planted as part of my rotation as well. I usually combine it with oats, but i may try some wheat this year. Just never used it before. Ill have a few different areas and options as I'm going to be splitting up a large field into a combination of NWSG and food.
Thanks again

They like spring oats.

In 2016, when I bought my property, we didn’t have any food plots and didn’t see or hear any turkeys. My food plots more or less follow the LC cereal grain mix with some small clover plots. I watched a flock of 25 turkeys feeding through one of my plots during deer firearms season this year. I saw turkeys almost every time I bow hunted this year. It’s only a sample size of one property but the habitat improvements and plots for deer sure seem to have made my 36 acres attractive to turkeys too.

If you have a farmer near by ask him to haul some manure on your plots, free fertilizer and turkeys will pick through that for weeks.

Just plant something, they will be there scavenging the seed for weeks.

If you have a farmer near by ask him to haul some manure on your plots, free fertilizer and turkeys will pick through that for weeks.
Good way to get some nasty weeds roo