Plots are in

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
My camp finished planting our food plots - for the spring anyway - this past week. 3 plots of corn, a plot of crimson clover / red clover / chicory mix, 2 plots of Welter's #2 Super hay mix ( 1015 Supreme alfalfa, Starfire red clover, Tuukka timothy ), 1 plot of buckwheat with some sorghum and sunflowers along the one side for a little cover and diversity.

We spread some 5-20-20 over a large plot of established white clover to boost it. That plot is Alice, Ladino, and Kopu II. We started this plot 2 years ago with oats as a nurse crop.

3rd week of July, brassica mix goes in another plot & Labor Day - winter rye goes into a newly prepped plot. That should hold us over winter. Corn will remain standing.

No pics? ;)

Nope - didn't take any pix of that operation. We were racing to get it all in before the rain started. I'll take some after the stuff gets up, so it's visible. I had the camera with me in the truck, too - but no time to snap any. As we finished culti-packing the last field, the rain started. Nick of time !! Hopefully that rain will jump-start the germination.

Great timing with the rain.

As of 6/15/16 our buckwheat is up and looking good, and the plot of crimson clover, Persist red clover and chicory is going gangbusters. Corn is up in all plots, and the plots of Welter's #2 Super Hay mix are hatching too. Deer have been feeding heavily in the big plot of Alice, Kopu II, and Ladino clover. That plot was planted 2 years ago. Rain over night and today will make things really take off.

Update - Our camp just picked up a 25 gallon sprayer for a 4-wheeler. It has folding booms and an agitator to keep spray mixed. As per someone's suggestion on HT, we sprayed this past weekend with cleth to kill grass in our plots. Sprayer worked like a charm and all plots were done in about 2 hours.

We have a plot of crimson clover/Persist red clover/ chicory that is getting to look much better since we got some rain. 3 plots of corn are lagging some due to lack of rain until this recent rain last week. Hopefully the corn will catch up now. Our buckwheat is getting hit nightly by a number of deer ( cams & actual sightings ). Our bees are happy to have the BW blossoms close by too. The plot of 1015 Supreme alfalfa, Starfire red clover, and Tuukka timothy is a little thin on the red clover, probably due to lack of rain. The alfalfa and timothy are doing well though. I'll overseed with more clover this September to thicken the clover component. Our plot of Alice, Ladino, and Kopu II white clover is doing well, but needed the rain and the spray of cleth. With the grass being killed, it should really take off. We had fertilized it with 5-20-20, so a cleaner plot should thicken up this fall in cooler temps.