Planting after Raptor, Butrac(24-DB) and Bentazon 4

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have used each of these on various plots over the last month. I looked at the labels last night, but honestly think I missed something as to the residual impact upon future planting of various crops.

I may plant brassicas in some of the plots exposed to one or more of these products. What is your experience regarding residual impact of any when it comes to brassicas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we discussed some of this in another related thread. Sitting here thinking about the question (again) I'd give two lines of thinking. But first I would offer I've never used Bentazon 4 and the other two I've applied with only weed control in mind - no following seeding.

I've done extensive label and EPA registration readings (always) on Raptor and Butryac in the past and a quick read of the same for Bentazon just now. So, take what I have for what you think it's worth.

If it were me I wouldn't worry (too much) about carryover and would plant without delay.
If I were in a position to offer advice in an official or authoritative capacity I would I tell whomever is asking to wait 10-14 days - just to error on the safe side.

Now then. Someone will correctly observe ammonium salt of irnazamox (Raptor) is marketed as a contact herbicide with residual capacity. True enough. I have used it for that very reason and have been very disappointed. It appears to breakdown quickly in wet soil conditions, my eternal problem (managing smartweed in clover). If it has been hot and dry post application I might wait to do a post application seeding. How long? I don't know. I guess it depends on my - or your - anxiety level and willingness to take some risk. Ideal planting periods are not indefinite.

I think we discussed some of this in another related thread. Sitting here thinking about the question (again) I'd give two lines of thinking. But first I would offer I've never used Bentazon 4 and the other two I've applied with only weed control in mind - no following seeding.

I've done extensive label and EPA registration readings (always) on Raptor and Butryac in the past and a quick read of the same for Bentazon just now. So, take what I have for what you think it's worth.

If it were me I wouldn't worry (too much) about carryover and would plant without delay.
If I were in a position to offer advice in an official or authoritative capacity I would I tell whomever is asking to wait 10-14 days - just to error on the safe side.

Now then. Someone will correctly observe ammonium salt of irnazamox (Raptor) is marketed as a contact herbicide with residual capacity. True enough. I have used it for that very reason and have been very disappointed. It appears to breakdown quickly in wet soil conditions, my eternal problem (managing smartweed in clover). If it has been hot and dry post application I might wait to do a post application seeding. How long? I don't know. I guess it depends on my - or your - anxiety level and willingness to take some risk. Ideal planting periods are not indefinite.

Dan,

I think you are spot on and here is my experience with all three (old and recent). Bentazon recommends against cultivation a few days before and after application. In the past, I have planted pretty quickly and never had any issues but wanted to see if I had just gotten lucky.

Raptor recommends against planting for an extended period, but I too think the carryover impact of application is nearly nonexistent. I always let my cereal grains go to seed before mowing the first time each spring. Raptor is pretty good at knocking out grasses. This year I had new rye and wheat coming up just a little over a week from applying Raptor. They had not germinated at the time of application.

Butyrac seems to have zero impact as well. So in a way I answered my own question, but again wanted to make sure I had not just gotten lucky in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk