All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planted plot today

The weekend before at the earliest, at least in the Juneau sinkhole anyway.
Even planting Memorial Day we tend to get a frost after I plant, but I've never lost a plot to it. IMO the plants can tolerate frost in the very early stages of growth. After the plants are up and growing for two weeks that tolerance seems to be gone. One more thing with the Memorial Day planting. I usually am converting winter rye plots to buckwheat. Early in May the rye is still very attractive so there is no need to rush into a risky buckwheat planting. Towards the end of May that same rye is now reaching for the sky and the deer usage is dropping quickly. Spray rye and seed buckwheat same day. Deer will be on the buckwheat two weeks later and will continue feeding on it easily into July.

I had an awesome volunteer Buckwheat plot in my back yard from just a one time disk in Late March. It all frosted and died the other day. Such a pity, but I knew there was only a 25% chance it would make it.