Planted my Northern Whitetail Crabs today.

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I got my NWCs in the ground today. Trees were smaller than last year but still nice sized. Roots were excellent. I planted 5 of these last year and 5 this year. Some of the ones from last year are nearly 7 feet tall in just one year and making flowers this year.

ZJl7Yrkh.jpg

SrELTeVh.jpg

xlWwRtMh.jpg

It's about time you planted something beneficial there, Native !! :emoji_astonished: Just more additions to the Native Hunter multi-page menu. :emoji_thumbsup:

I had a box from NWC on the porch last night, was going to get them in the ground today but is to wet to drive back where I want to plant them, maybe by Sunday.
Planted some pines this morning... ground is wet and it’s very windy here today.
Yours are looking really good Native!

Great Roots!

Del Monte.

Where do you get these crabs Steve? Would like to read up on them. My orchard at the farm is primarily late drop varieties. Sounds like these might be a good addition

Where do you get these crabs Steve? Would like to read up on them. My orchard at the farm is primarily late drop varieties. Sounds like these might be a good addition

Jordan, here is a link to the site. They are sold out this year, but check early next year. He also told me they are adding a few more varieties next year.

http://www.northernwhitetailcrabs.com/

Best Wishes - Steve

I had a box from NWC on the porch last night, was going to get them in the ground today but is to wet to drive back where I want to plant them, maybe by Sunday.
Planted some pines this morning... ground is wet and it’s very windy here today.
Yours are looking really good Native!

Long time ‘til planting here.
cc931499400c58b6ee299df36657eb5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got antsy and couldn’t stand it so I used the wheelbarrow loaded down and got them in the ground. I never feel right until they are all tucked into the dirt and they are safe.

I sure don’t envy your snow, this winter is dragging on long this year.
It was 26 degrees this morning here with a skiff of snow but supposed to hit 40 today and start to warm up next week.
I’m heading out to plant some pines in a few minutes.

I got antsy and couldn’t stand it so I used the wheelbarrow loaded down and got them in the ground. I never feel right until they are all tucked into the dirt and they are safe.

I sure don’t envy your snow, this winter is dragging on long this year.
It was 26 degrees this morning here with a skiff of snow but supposed to hit 40 today and start to warm up next week.
I’m heading out to plant some pines in a few minutes.

It's 30 here this morning and snow falling. Sure am glad I'm not planting today. They are giving mid 20s tomorrow night and some of my apples are in full bloom and others just ready to open up. Pears just finished blooming and should have fruit set by now. The cold dip might really mess up fruit this year. I will know in a few days I guess.

Wow that looks nasty. Wishing you the best....

Wow that looks nasty. Wishing you the best....

Many lakes will probably be frozen on the May 12 fishing opener.

How do you troll for walleyes with snowshoes on?

Hey Sandbur .............. you don't wear a red suit, have a white beard, and employ any elves - do you ??? All us guys on here have been REALLY GOOD.

Hey Sandbur .............. you don't wear a red suit, have a white beard, and employ any elves - do you ??? All us guys on here have been REALLY GOOD.

All the elves quit and moved south. They were tired of winter. My red suit is all worn out and i am down to just the long underwear. My beard fell out and Mrs Claus won’t cook anymore. Can it get worse?

;)

Sorry to read about your cold snap Native, that really sucks.
My fruit trees haven’t even budded yet, I expect them to this next week. Going to do a little top work grafting when they do.

I was extremely pleased with the root structure on the new NWC, lots of fine hair roots on them they should take right off. Even though the new trees were a little smaller this year than in the past they were still bigger than about any I buy from other nurseries. I put in eight more this spring, interested to see how the new Crossbow grows.

Sorry to read about your cold snap Native, that really sucks.
My fruit trees haven’t even budded yet, I expect them to this next week. Going to do a little top work grafting when they do.

I was extremely pleased with the root structure on the new NWC, lots of fine hair roots on them they should take right off. Even though the new trees were a little smaller this year than in the past they were still bigger than about any I buy from other nurseries. I put in eight more this spring, interested to see how the new Crossbow grows.

I can't recall, but is it you who have some NWCs already bearing fruit? Someone on here posted a picture last year I think. I would like to see more pictures and hear more. I only got my first ones last year so not much experience with them here. I can just say they have really grown fast with those good roots.

I can't recall, but is it you who have some NWCs already bearing fruit? Someone on here posted a picture last year I think. I would like to see more pictures and hear more. I only got my first ones last year so not much experience with them here. I can just say they have really grown fast with those good roots.

Yep, that was me.
I’ve had the DropTine, 30-06 and Tenpoint in the ground for three years.
They have all grown great with almost zero babying besides screening and caging, the DropTine fruited out last year and held 30ish green quarter sized apples with many staying on into late January.
I also have the NWC Gray Ghost and Sheepnose and those are growing well also.

I have found the best way to make sure you can get the trees you want from them is to email them early and get them reserved then call Terry in late February and finish your order out. Once NWC updates their website and runs their ad in hunting magazines in late winter they have been selling out within a couple weeks.

Attachments

• DE73C6EB-A89B-451D-982D-20B6C75D489F.jpeg
    DE73C6EB-A89B-451D-982D-20B6C75D489F.jpeg
    839.9 KB · Views: 45
  • A69978E2-EE5B-46E7-AAE1-FA742F4CEF67.jpeg
    A69978E2-EE5B-46E7-AAE1-FA742F4CEF67.jpeg
    595 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Yep, that was me.
I’ve had the DropTine, 30-06 and Tenpoint in the ground for three years.
They have all grown great with almost zero babying besides screening and caging, the DropTine fruited out last year and held 30ish green quarter sized apples with many staying on into late January.
I also have the NWC Gray Ghost and Sheepnose and those are growing well also.

I have found the best way to make sure you can get the trees you want from them is to email them early and get them reserved then call Terry in late February and finish your order out. Once NWC updates their website and runs their ad in hunting magazines in late winter they have been selling out within a couple weeks.

Thanks for the info. It looks like 2 or 3 of the 5 that I set last year are going to flower this spring. I do recall that the one with the most flowers was the Droptine.

DropTine is definitely my favorite of them so far, I’m really looking forward to seeing how all of them do as they get older and start producing, yours and mine.

DropTine is definitely my favorite of them so far, I’m really looking forward to seeing how all of them do as they get older and start producing, yours and mine.

We will continue to share information on this. My goal was to find some trees with a reliable drop in mid November here. Terry wasn't really able to tell me which varieties that would be for sure, because of the difference in geography, so I'm just trying several different ones. He did recommend what he thought some would be and felt pretty good about the Sheepnose Apple and some others.

I'm okay with some apples hanging on the tree nearly all winter, but that isn't really my goal. I'm more concerned with getting fruit drop from early October through late November, with mid November being significant.