Pigweed?

Jayber

5 year old buck +
Redroot pigweed? It's relentless!!
c32d4fcec8a66b3f65b94d99f7eb3104.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That looks like trouble.

Oh dear GOD! Kill it! Kill it all! Kill it and delete the pics of it!

At this point killing it with herbicide is likely a waste of time. Hand-pulling and removing the plants is about the only way to prevent all those 100s of 1000s of seeds from becoming future crops.

At this point killing it with herbicide is likely a waste of time. Hand-pulling and removing the plants is about the only way to prevent all those 100s of 1000s of seeds from becoming future crops.
Was planning to get the fam out there this weekend to help pull (and discard). The rain we're getting should make it easier work and thankfully my patch isn't that big!

Okay, I've found that there's also Palmer Pigweed. Not sure what the physical differences are between them, but regardless, I'm pretty sure what i've got is Pigweed and it needs to be abolished.........this weekend!

Okay, I've found that there's also Palmer Pigweed. Not sure what the physical differences are between them, but regardless, I'm pretty sure what i've got is Pigweed and it needs to be abolished.........this weekend!

Your weed isn't Palmer Amaranth, but you still need to get rid if it...………………… What you have is almost as bad.

Your weed isn't Palmer Amaranth, but you still need to get rid if it...………………… What you have is almost as bad.

What do I have??

My arch enemy!!!!! IT's the weed of satan and I am going to do everything in my power to destroy what I have. I wish you luck on your mission.

I have a 4 acre plot at the farm that is full of it and ragweed. We could bring the national guard out there for a week and never pull it all. That plot is going to get tilled up in the spring, after 3 weeks it's getting burnt down with something that kills them booth, 3 week later tilled up again to bring the seed to the top and germinate, burned down again then planted in winter rye late summer. I am sacrificing the summer food for the deer for a year to try to get this under control. They have 55 acres of prime alfalfa right next to it to hold them over.

My arch enemy!!!!! IT's the weed of satan and I am going to do everything in my power to destroy what I have. I wish you luck on your mission.

I have a 4 acre plot at the farm that is full of it and ragweed. We could bring the national guard out there for a week and never pull it all. That plot is going to get tilled up in the spring, after 3 weeks it's getting burnt down with something that kills them booth, 3 week later tilled up again to bring the seed to the top and germinate, burned down again then planted in winter rye late summer. I am sacrificing the summer food for the deer for a year to try to get this under control. They have 55 acres of prime alfalfa right next to it to hold them over.
Ok, so it's the weed of satan. To me, I've got several different varieties of those around. Lol

For what it's worth, the piece that this pigweed is in has been sprayed-disc'd then sprayed again about 4x this year alone. After the last spray I let stand, sprayed again, spread my seed and lightly drug to cover. I'm thinking I may need to pull weeds for a few years to come to get a head of it. For now, it one step at a time.

Pigweed will germinate as late as early September in the upper midwest and will still produce seeds on 5-6" plants. Once you allow a field of the stuff to set seeds you'll probably have it around for many years.

Last edited:
Ok, so it's the weed of satan. To me, I've got several different varieties of those around. Lol

For what it's worth, the piece that this pigweed is in has been sprayed-disc'd then sprayed again about 4x this year alone. After the last spray I let stand, sprayed again, spread my seed and lightly drug to cover. I'm thinking I may need to pull weeds for a few years to come to get a head of it. For now, it one step at a time.

What did you spray the field with? Pigweed is "resistant" to Gly(round up) they say, but I think gly is more like fertilizer to it. I have applied undiluted 41% gly to the plant and I swear I could hear it laughing at me.

I used 2-4D on a plot of it this summer and it burnt it to the ground. Unfortunately, some small plants did germinate after that, but maybe a dozen or so that I pulled by hand.

I sprayed Gly as well as Gly + 2-4D at various times. Plot was looking good until just after my brassica was getting established and then 'Porky' out grew it. Time to slay the pig!!

Interline will kill it but on pigweed you have to saturate more so than when spraying grass with gly.On brassicas can you mow over the top of them

Before and after (3 of us pulling for 2.5 hours).
75ec988e114ed3bf8522aedef4316def.jpg
e9a9b215f4c5405d097a56ec3de1568e.jpg