Pics of my tillage tool NH Mountains

BuckSutherland

5 year old buck +
I promised a couple pics. Here they are. I broke another one of the small rear tines off this weekend. I had them laying around when I built this thing and thought they might do ok in the back row, but I keep breaking them. The strap iron on top is for silo staves if I want to weigh it down. It has really been working nice if the plot is cleaned out and all you have to do is scratch some dirt and get the seed into contact. I pull it around 5-8 MPH with ATV.

Next year the plots are gonna get bigger and longer runs so I can go faster. Could do an acre with this real fast if it was all cleaned off.

PICT0024.JPG PICT0025.JPG PICT0026.JPG PICT0027.JPG PICT0028.JPG

Thanks,

It is really sturdy. When I first built it and we brought it up there and hooked it behind my duramax and put a couple hundred pounds of staves on top. We drank a bunch of beer and then decided to pull it down our brand new trails at about 15 MPH. If it didnt come apart from that I will never be able to wreck it with an ATV. You can see where I hit some roots, rocks and stumps with it and bent a few of the teeth, but it gives it character. I want to get the back row fixed for next year.

It has been a very versatile piece of equipment and kinda of exceeded my expectations.

Next year when we plant in the spring I would like to get a nice youtube video of it in action from start to finish of a plot.

that thing looks mean! that would be a great piece of equipment to have.

Here are some pics from up north.

I used this piece of equipment with the teeth pointed up to clean up the trails a little. It wiped the ferns right out and we have some nice clover coming in its place. They were full sized just like the stuff on the side when I went through. Much faster than a brush cutter.

DSCN0047.JPG DSCN0049.JPG DSCN0050.JPG

I also used it to rescue failed plots. The stuff on the right is what I did and the stuff on the left is the ill-prepared "spray and pray" that I left to prove what works. I have no use for taking chances. I would rather just do it right. This one tool has probably been the biggest contributor to our success after timely rain. I would take it over a field cultivator, disk, tiller, cultipacker any day.

DSCN0062.JPG

I have close to 100% germination on the right, who the hell knows with the stuff on the left. Makes it impossible to put down the correct amount of seed.

Years ago we built a similar tool using some pieces of 8" I beam and old railroad spikes for teeth. Worked good. yours looks well done.