Persimmon disease?

Bassattackr

5 year old buck +
Not the best photo, just realized this is the only one I had..

No fruit on it whatsoever, but it's a solo tree so that makes sense. The closest persimmon trees to this one is about 200+ yards away so likely not close enough for pollination (or maybe male??).

Per.png

Not an answer to your disease question, but an observation about fruit. I’ve been marking wild persimmon trees on my field edges for the last 3 years. If I see fruit, I tie a piece of flag tape onto a branch, and depending on the size and location of the tree, I might clear some other trees around it. Several trees I marked last year do not have any fruit this year, and a couple trees that were not marked in the past, have some fruit this year. Leading me to believe persimmon trees will sometimes skip a year on fruit production???? Two trees marked and cleared around 3 years ago are getting nice sized and loaded with fruit. Hope to have more of those in the future! PS: the leaves on my persimmons always seem to have spots later in their growth.

Persimmons are not wind pollinated like chestnuts. They are insect pollinated and the male tree can be a mile away. I don't see any obvious disease in the pic. You can only really tell male from female when they are old enough to flower in the spring. It can easily take a native female tree 10 years to produce fruit.

Thanks,

Jack

All great info thanks!

My assumption is that the spotting on the leaves is Anthracnose, a fungal disease. Don’t believe it is a worry.

You might reach out to Cliff England for his opinion. He has a nursery in Kentucky that sells persimmons and other fruit and nut trees.

Not an answer to your disease question, but an observation about fruit. I’ve been marking wild persimmon trees on my field edges for the last 3 years. If I see fruit, I tie a piece of flag tape onto a branch, and depending on the size and location of the tree, I might clear some other trees around it. Several trees I marked last year do not have any fruit this year, and a couple trees that were not marked in the past, have some fruit this year. Leading me to believe persimmon trees will sometimes skip a year on fruit production???? Two trees marked and cleared around 3 years ago are getting nice sized and loaded with fruit. Hope to have more of those in the future! PS: the leaves on my persimmons always seem to have spots later in their growth.

Transgender trees?

bill

Persimmons are not wind pollinated like chestnuts. They are insect pollinated and the male tree can be a mile away. I don't see any obvious disease in the pic. You can only really tell male from female when they are old enough to flower in the spring. It can easily take a native female tree 10 years to produce fruit.

Thanks,

Jack

Native hunter posts pictorials every spring about this in his classic persimmon threads

bill

My assumption is that the spotting on the leaves is Anthracnose, a fungal disease. Don’t believe it is a worry.

You might reach out to Cliff England for his opinion. He has a nursery in Kentucky that sells persimmons and other fruit and nut trees.

I didn't even recognize those spots as a disease. All of the trees here have them and it doesn't seem to have any effect on growth or fruiting.

Transgender trees?

bill

My dad has a persimmon tree at his place we've taken to calling "Bobby with an I" after the old song. It never had a persimmon on it since be bought the place 35 years ago, it also has all male flowers from the ones we've check. But last year and then this year its dropped a double handful of dark blue persimmons.

No disease - this is just what wild persimmon leaves look like in the fall of the year on a high percentage of the trees. The leaf spots have absolutely no impact on bearing fruit. As others have stated, persimmon pollination is nothing to worry about. Check out this thread for pictures of male and female flowers you can look for next spring if the tree is old enough to make flowers. Look at Post #41.

My dad has a persimmon tree at his place we've taken to calling "Bobby with an I" after the old song. It never had a persimmon on it since be bought the place 35 years ago, it also has all male flowers from the ones we've check. But last year and then this year its dropped a double handful of dark blue persimmons.

There are what they call "Perfect" trees. These have both male and female branches. Odds are that you have a few female branches on your tree. Bluish persimmons do occur with some trees.