percentage of the problem

Northwest MN--Kittson County. It appears the numbers are down about 30-40%. Still quite a few deer in pockets. My guess is too many doe tags along with two back to back bad winters.

Some old figures for Minnesota estimated coyotes get two deer each, bear average two fawns each, and wolves about 20 deer each. bobcat and lynx would get a few deer/fawns also. At that time we had about 2000 wolves. I cam up with about 100,000 deer loss to predators. I can no longer find the article, but do remember reading it.

Now the follow up question to everyone.

What does the general hunting public believe is the reason for no deer?

Out of probably 15 people off of this forum I have talked to only one or two has said too many doe tags. Almost everyone blames wolves first and the winter a distant 2nd. With that mindset the wolves and winter will never be the biggest problem. Our friends and neighbors will be.

Some old figures for Minnesota estimated coyotes get two deer each, bear average two fawns each, and wolves about 20 deer each. bobcat and lynx would get a few deer/fawns also. At that time we had about 2000 wolves. I cam up with about 100,000 deer loss to predators. I can no longer find the article, but do remember reading it.
That is a lot, and in years of a lot of deer it seems right.

Now the follow up question to everyone.

What does the general hunting public believe is the reason for no deer?

Out of probably 15 people off of this forum I have talked to only one or two has said too many doe tags. Almost everyone blames wolves first and the winter a distant 2nd. With that mindset the wolves and winter will never be the biggest problem. Our friends and neighbors will be.

Winter and wolves. Sportsmen will rarely first place blame on themselves. That is why it takes an agency (the DNR in this case) to manage us. Spearfisherman seeing too few pike, must be the muskie, couldn't be that they are killing too many pike. Too few walleye, must either be the muskies again or the netters. etc.