Pell Lime Nutrient Analysis

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I was gearing up to scour the earth to find KMS for our fertilizer plan in our plots after striking out yesterday at the coop.

I went to Menards today to pick up carpet for the deer stands we're building and I picked up lime as well. Apparently this brand of pell lime is 12% magnesium, 22% calcium. I wonder if I can squeeze enough Mg outta this and not need to track down anymore.

What was the recommendation on your soil test?

There was no recommendation. I'm trying to get my base saturation balanced. The salt and hydrogen are non-existent, but my calcium is at the top of the acceptable range, and the K and Mg are at the bottom of the ideal range. Maybe i'm making too much of it. Either way, I'm throwing some potash down this week and i'll have to maybe look for a Mg source for the plots that are already limed.

Epsom salts is a good source of Mg and doesn't add much in the way of anything else. Just be careful adding to much Mg, it will reduce potassium availability and will also cause the need to add more N to get the same affect due to the "tightening" of the soil that is caused by the excess Mg. Kieserite is another good source of Mg, just not sure of it's availability.

I just came across that this morning as well. I ordered up a couple small bags to try it. I'm adding K and Mg this week. I'm going fairly low on each to begin and will test again next year. What I could find for a low rate recommendation was 25lbs/ac. I'm starting with 20lbs/ac and putting K down with it so hopefully they both rise in the base saturation and it all gets to a nice balance and there is no tie up.

I like that plan. One other thing to keep in mind is that Mg levels should be at 16% to 20% for sandy soils and around 12% for clay based soils.