Peas and Oats Plot

It's interesting to see how much the deer like the oats and peas in other parts of the country or state, but on my place the deer didn't really like either. Some of my peas looked great and grew over 3' tall and climbed on neighboring plants, but the browsing pressure was minimal. They grew quickly and they actually matured enough that they produced quite a bit of seed. I will say that the turkeys really liked the pea pods later in the fall once they dried down - I killed a nice tom there in October.

Did you guys see the deer hit the peas the first year you planted them or did it take a few years for the deer to get used to them?

Nice looking plot MO!

Nice plot!

Ben - the lack of usage could be from a number of things 1) did your neighbors have something similar planted 2) if it was new it might take the deer a little time to take to it 3) plants are just nutrient transfer agents so while your plot grew, the nutrient level could be low and is something you could have tested.

Nice plot!

Ben - the lack of usage could be from a number of things 1) did your neighbors have something similar planted 2) if it was new it might take the deer a little time to take to it 3) plants are just nutrient transfer agents so while your plot grew, the nutrient level could be low and is something you could have tested.

The neighbors didn't have anything similar planted, but I did have just about every other food plot option available to the deer to pick from. Lots of deer fed in the same field, but they just didn't eat the peas very much. But the turkeys liked the seeds after they dried, so it wasn't a total loss.

The neighbors didn't have anything similar planted, but I did have just about every other food plot option available to the deer to pick from. Lots of deer fed in the same field, but they just didn't eat the peas very much. But the turkeys liked the seeds after they dried, so it wasn't a total loss.

It could be lower on their preference in your area or it could be they just haven't figured it out yet that the peas are good. I would keep trying a little bit and see if they take to them.

I've noticed I can grow peas in the summer, with my high deer density. Winter peas don't have a chance. I think it has to do with the deer being spread out more, and more natural food available.

Those plots look sweet bro!

From The stand tonight! Peas and Oats next to our hinge cut.

I was waiting for a Giant buck to walk out in your video. Plot looks great, just a matter of time before a big boy checks that plot out. Is that a Rage broadhead?