Pear trees not producing fruit.

BC Buck

5 year old buck +
Bought four Kieffer pear from Century farms in 2014. Three out of four died first spring from fire blight. I was upset because they where supposed to be resistant to blight. Bought three potted Kieffer in Fall of 2014 from Home Depot on clearance. Last Spring and this year my Century farms tree produced fruit but the HD trees are not. The HD trees look nice and flowered out. What do you think is the problem?

We bought trees years ago that were sold as Kieffer. They had very vigorous vegetative growth but did not produce pears for many years. When they produced the first few pears, they did not look like Kieffer. I now suspect they were grown from seed and simply called Kieffer. Seedlings take longer to produce than grafted trees. I also planted and oriental pear seedling (not grafted) a few years ago next to them. Suddenly they started producing heavily. Was it just that they reached the proper maturity level or that they now had a pollinating partner? Who knows.

I have come to believe that the term "Keiffer" is used pretty haphazardly...

Thanks,

Jack

As was stated it could very well be that the HD "Kieffers" are not actually that. Kieffer can be self-fertile. Did the HD "Kieffers" and your Century Farm tree bloom at the same time? You might need another variety for cross pollination if the bloom times didnt overlap.

As was stated it could very well be that the HD "Kieffers" are not actually that. Kieffer can be self-fertile. Did the HD "Kieffers" and your Century Farm tree bloom at the same time? You might need another variety for cross pollination if the bloom times didnt overlap.
Yes all four trees bloomed at the same time.

We bought trees years ago that were sold as Kieffer. They had very vigorous vegetative growth but did not produce pears for many years. When they produced the first few pears, they did not look like Kieffer. I now suspect they were grown from seed and simply called Kieffer. Seedlings take longer to produce than grafted trees. I also planted and oriental pear seedling (not grafted) a few years ago next to them. Suddenly they started producing heavily. Was it just that they reached the proper maturity level or that they now had a pollinating partner? Who knows.

I have come to believe that the term "Keiffer" is used pretty haphazardly...

Thanks,

Jack
These trees appeared to be grafted and where called semi dwarf. How many more years should I give them before cutting down and planting something else.

I checked my records. They where grafted but all the tag said was pear Kieffer S/D No5

If they are blooming I wouldnt cut them down. Either weather or lack of pollinators caused no fruit to set.

My pears have been very slow to fruit as well despite being excellent growers and low maintenance trees. The leaves always look super lush and healthy. I have Flemish Beauty and Summercrisp both planted in 2013. The larger tree is easily 12' tall with the girth of a large baseball bat, still no fruit. Today, I noticed the Flemish has its first fruit, 2 fruitlets. I have 5 pears planted together with a few other random pear trees planted throughout my orchard of various ages, 3 which were planted last sprung. 7 pear varieties total, all surrounded by 120+ apples. They are slow going pears but I'm just going to give them time to do their thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I 2nd what @CrazyEd says, I have a Felmish Beauty from Cumminso on OHFx87 that i planted in 2014 and its near 15 tall now and hasn't flowered yet. I trained some branches away from the leader last year and it still didn't flower, i just think pears need more time to do so.

I 2nd what @CrazyEd says, I have a Felmish Beauty from Cumminso on OHFx87 that i planted in 2014 and its near 15 tall now and hasn't flowered yet. I trained some branches away from the leader last year and it still didn't flower, i just think pears need more time to do so.
Thats what through me. They have flowered the last 2 years but never set.

Thats what through me. They have flowered the last 2 years but never set.

I would Add another variety.

Even though some pears will bear in 4 years or less, there are just as many that don't. It's no worry at all. My pears that don't bear quickly grow faster than the ones that do bear quickly, and when they do start bearing, you just get more fruit because the tree is bigger. I have 4 right now planted the same time that yours were, and they haven't produced fruit yet. It's no concern, because I know they will eventually. I've seen it before.

I agree with Crazy Ed. Plant some more varieties and be patient. It would be crazy to cut pears down after only 4 or 5 years just because they haven't made fruit yet. Best wishes.........

I agree with all the advice posted, sometimes they just take awhile to get producing. I have Keiffers that have been in ground five years that haven't set yet and others that have been in ground three that are loaded. They don't really need a pollinator but I always plant a Moonglow or two mixed in with them.