All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pear Tree Problems

Hillfarm

Yearling... With promise
I just checked on the trees I'm trying to overwinter in rootmaker bags this evening.
I seen my Blake's Pride pear looks to have died above the graft this winter. The tree got snapped off last fall and I attempted to save it.
My question is, how would you attempt to graft to a rootstock (Ohxf 87) that is probably about a half inch in diameter? I may try to add photos tomorrow.

Two scions in a single cleft graft; one at each side. At the end of the summer keep the strongest growing scion and cut the other one off. The cleft will grow over the cleft in time but you only want one central leader.

Cleft graft

Cleft graft now with good pressure from tape on the relatively large wound from the cleft.

Or let it go for now and see if the Blake's Pride isn't dead and pushes a bud above the original graft. If it is dead, the rootstock will push a bud that will be easy to graft later.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have some ideas to run with.