All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pear not blooming

jpe40

Yearling... With promise
I have four Galloway pear trees that are five or six years old all four of them had plenty of fruit last year. They are all 4in in diameter at least. this year three of them are totally covered in flowers and the one has no flowers. I noticed a couple small buds on it and when I broke some branches its still green inside. Do you think it is dying or it will it recover? I did not do any type of spraying the spring just threw a little bit of fertilizer around each tree in March.

I am by no means an expert on tree issues but I can say from my limited fruit tree experience that I have noticed that my apples and pears trees seem to alternate from having a good year to barely producing. In fact, two of my apple trees which produced last year blossomed like crazy this year but when I checked on them later in the season had no fruit just like your trees. This is probably due to the fact that I don’t thin and remove any fruit and that the trees are fairly young and may need a season to recuperate especially if they really put out some fruit last season. I would give them another season and hopefully they will bounce back next year, good luck.